Default Can You Legally Take an OTF Knife Overseas

My question involves criminal law for the state of: West Virginia

I'm thinking about taking an OTF knife with me on a trip overseas some time in the future and I'm curious to know if there are any US laws prohibiting one from doing so . I'll be sure to check the laws of my destination country by the way , however I'm ( naturally ) curious about the US side of things , which is why I thought I'd post my question here .

Oh and thanks ahead of time for any answers !

Default Re: Is There a Federal Law Against Taking an Otf Knife with You Overseas

I believe you will find such are banned on Commercial/Out of Country flights, I would not go through a baggage check with TSA inspecting for contraband, knives or guns, etc. IF you intend to try it, expect attention to be drawn to you. Whatever Airline you intend to fly with, or any really, they will have a detailed list for passengers at any ticket counter, etc. You are subject to FAA regulations, check first online to start or call.

Default Re: Is There a Federal Law Against Taking an Otf Knife with You Overseas

It surely is not legal to have it in your carry on luggage or on your person, on any flight whether it be inside or to outside if our country. . If it is in your carry on luggage or on your person and discovered, it will be confiscated and you’ll never see it again.

You also have to consider if it is legal in the state you are in. While the tsa is less likely to know the state law, as rjr stated, having it on you will garner special attention. You may end up dealing with a state level authority who does know whether it’s legal in the state you are in. If it is illegal, you can be arrested and charged.

You will need to check with the airline to determine if it is allowed in your checked luggage. If it is, then put it in your checked luggage. If it isn’t, you will have to ship it via some parcel service to your destination.

Of course, you could also just be cautious and not take it with you at all. Ok, I should have looked up OTF knife before I posted. I doubt that there is any hope of you getting a switchblade on a plane, and if you try to ship it, I can almost guarantee custom's on the other end will confiscate it.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Of course, you could also just be cautious and not take it with you at all. Ok, I should have looked up OTF knife before I posted. I doubt that there is any hope of you getting a switchblade on a plane, and if you try to ship it, I can almost guarantee custom's on the other end will confiscate it.
    The TSA simply states this;

Knives

Carry On Bags:
    No

Checked Bags:
    Yes

Except for plastic or round bladed butter knives.
    Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

For more prohibited items, please go to the 'What Can I Bring?' page.

no carry on knives allowed except plastic or round blade butter knives. I suspect there are plastic knives that aren’t allowed either.

In checked bags going out of the US, it's not a problem provided you're keeping it for your own use. Coming back into the US, it's illegal no matter what.
    If you attempt to carry it past a security checkpoint, you've committed a felony. You can be arrested.

Is there a list that details what types of knives you can't bring back to the US by the way ?

Thanks again for the answers FWIW .

Quote Quoting Shaun Yargoff
    View Post
    Is there a list that details what types of knives you can't bring back to the US by the way ?
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...dUhtaXhZZG8%3D

1. Sponsored Links