Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Happens if You Buy an Item That Turns Out to Be Stolen

My question involves police conduct in the State of: Virginia

I saw a used push lawnmower that was posted on OfferUp. I drove about 35 miles to buy it. Three weeks later I started getting a phone calls from a police officer from that area where the lawnmower was purchased.

The police officer is demanding me to drive to their city and return the item. I told the lady that police can come over and pick it up. She gave me 24 hours to deliver it back.

I was thinking that it is a scam. Three days later the police officer called me again. To prove that she is, indeed, a police officer she told me my SS number and other personal info. She said if I donít deliver the lawnmower to her police station, then my local police will come to my house and arrest me.

I have the feeling that something is not right here. I donít want to drive there again. What should I do?

Should I just drop it off at my local police station that is just two miles away?

Default Re: I Bought an Item That Happened to Be Stolen

Contact your local police station about the calls. If the lawn mower was truly stolen then you have no right to keep it and it does need to be returned to the true owner. Your local police might be willing to take it to facilitate the return.

I'm curious how the police got your social security number ... unless you had prior law enforcement contact with that agency or county that included an arrest or some reason to have obtained that info from you. Unlike the impression left by TV there is no readily accessible database connection withthe Social Security Administration that would permit this info to be readily accessed.

Even if your local police are willing to accept the mower on behalf of the other agency (big "if" as chain of custody issues and the possibility of subpoenas will cross the minds of the management there) the agency where the mower was stolen or recovered from might want to speak to you about the matter and the details of your obtaining it.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Perhaps you should call that police department and ask them if they have an officer with her name. Then you will know whether or not its the real deal.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Perhaps you should call that police department and ask them if they have an officer with her name. Then you will know whether or not its the real deal.
    To add to the above advice...if there is an officer with that name ask to speak with her. Make sure SHE is actually the one calling you and not someone posing as her.

I’m curious

just what crime does anybody here believe the op committed if he does not deliver the mower to the police station?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I’m curious

just what crime does anybody here believe the op committed if he does not deliver the mower to the police station?
    I know what I'm about to write is a stretch but stick with me.

ß 18.2-108. Receiving, etc., stolen goods.
    A. If any person buys or receives from another person, or aids in concealing, any stolen goods or other thing, knowing the same to have been stolen, he shall be deemed guilty of larceny thereof, and may be proceeded against, although the principal offender is not convicted.
    The OP is now on notice that the item is stolen. If he doesn't deliver it to the PD he could be considered to be aiding in concealing it.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I know what I'm about to write is a stretch but stick with me.

The OP is now on notice that the item is stolen. If he doesn't deliver it to the PD he could be considered to be aiding in concealing it.

i don’t see a refusal to deliver, and not only that but op offered to allow police to retrieve it, defeats the argument of receiving stolen property. There is no concealment but actually the opposite.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    i don’t see a refusal to deliver, and not only that but op offered to allow police to retrieve it, defeats the argument of receiving stolen property. There is no concealment but actually the opposite.
    That is the way my thoughts were running as well.

A11over, if it were me I'd ask for documentary evidence, a copy of the police report. If it was reported stolen with no police report to back it up, that to me is the same as not being reported.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast