Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I Bought an Item That Happened to Be Stolen

Quote Quoting RJR
    View Post
    A11over, if it were me I'd ask for documentary evidence, a copy of the police report. If it was reported stolen with no police report to back it up, that to me is the same as not being reported.
    I doubt they will give him a copy of the report. In fact, it may be prohibited by law so long as it is an active case. What they will almost certainly have to do is give him a receipt for the property.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    I doubt they will give him a copy of the report. In fact, it may be prohibited by law so long as it is an active case. What they will almost certainly have to do is give him a receipt for the property.
    If they know it's stolen, I'm sure they have no need for any further investigation? Regardless, the OP can demand such request by them in writing on a letterhead, a phone call is not official, at least to me.

Quote Quoting RJR
    View Post
    If they know it's stolen, I'm sure they have no need for any further investigation? Regardless, the OP can demand such request by them in writing on a letterhead, a phone call is not official, at least to me.
    If it has not been adjudicated, it's likely not yet a public record and still an investigative file. I know that no agency out here would cough up a police report in such an instance, but VA law may be vastly different. All the law likely requires of any law enforcement agency that seizes property is to provide them with a receipt for the property which would include the case number.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Well, I drove back about 60 miles to deliver that lawn mower. The officer was real. She have had already collected all under the sun information on me, that was nothing but positive. But my overall experience was very negative. I was offered to press my charges. I declined. I didn’t want to waste any more time on that.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2