Default Debt Collection Agency Reported a Debt That Has Already Been Paid

2014- I owed Cox Communication $X which was not communicated to me as I had moved out of the apartment, and there might have been only mail communication as no email was sent me.

2016- Debt Collection agency reports $X on SSN. I called Cox Communication and paid the debt directly to them. Debt Collection on my account is cleared.

2019- Debt Collection agency again report $X (exactly same amount that I had paid) on my SSN.

I called the Cox Communication they have no amount pending against my name. Called Debt Collection Agency, they gave me two options
    1. Dispute debt and wait till the reported delinquency clears out.
    2. Pay the amount get rid of it quickly.

I wanted to apply for mortgage loan and due to reported debt on my SSN my credit score has been impacted badly.

Would like to seek the legal advice on what should I do to clear out the reported debt on my SSN asap and reprimand debt collection agency.

Default Re: Debt Collection Agency Reported a Debt That Has Already Been Paid

Read this.

You should try to get verification of the debt from the collector, and should try to get Cox to confirm in writing that you do not owe the debt and that the debt collector has not been authorized to collect the debt on its behalf.

You didn't follow the instruction to identify your state; but it is possible that you're dealing with an unethical or dishonest debt collector; your state will have an agency that oversees debt collection, and you may be able to file a complaint about the debt collector with that agency.

Default Re: Debt Collection Agency Reported a Debt That Has Already Been Paid

Sorry forgot to mention state, I am currently in California, however the cox account was from Arizona and Debt collection agency is from Minnesota.

Cox Communication has said that they do not have any way to provide me in writing no debt confirmation.

Debt Collector blames it on Cox Communication for providing incorrect information.

1. Sponsored Links