Default Do You Have to Register a Foreign Divorce in the U.S.

I was married in the state of Pennsylvania and obtained a divorce in Italy. I am now moving back to the US to the state of California. If I were ever to want to get married again, would I have to register my foreign divorce in the US? Is it even necessary? If so, do I just need an apostille on the Italian divorce decree without a legal translation or would I also need a certified translation? Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Divorce

I have no idea what the "legal" answer is but I can give you a common sense answer.

Get the certified translation while you are still in Italy and it's convenient.

Then record the documents at the County Recorder wherever you decide to reside.

Then keep your originals in a safe place forever as well as scanning them to your computer and backing them up.

You never know when or where you will need them.

Default Re: Divorce

Quote Quoting llomona
    View Post
    I was married in the state of Pennsylvania and obtained a divorce in Italy. I am now moving back to the US to the state of California. If I were ever to want to get married again, would I have to register my foreign divorce in the US? Is it even necessary? If so, do I just need an apostille on the Italian divorce decree without a legal translation or would I also need a certified translation? Thanks a lot!
    No, you do not need to register your foreign divorce in the US. It would however, as AJ suggested, be a good idea to get the Italian divorce decree translated and then keep a copy in a safe place in case you ever need it. You would want the apostille on the divorce decree and on the translated copy if possible.

1. Sponsored Links