Default How do the Police Conduct Alcohol Compliance Sting Operations

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio.
    My question is when doing an alchol compliance(sting operation) do you have to have a notice or do they just show up? When is it grounds for entrapment if you are unaware of the sting operation taking place?
    My family and I were having this debate and was wondering if you could provide some insight on this matter. Thank you.

Default Re: Alchol Compliance Laws

If they send in a 20-year-old to purchase and they are sold to that is NOT entrapment.

And of course, they don't have to give notice.

FYI, the word is alcohol, not "alchol."

Quote Quoting Jhnsnmike09
    View Post
    My question is when doing an alchol compliance(sting operation) do you have to have a notice or do they just show up?
    Depends on who "they" are and on who "you" are and what exactly the "sting operation" entails. However, giving suspected criminals advance notice of law enforcement activity is rarely, if ever, required and would be almost universally stupid.

View Post
    When is it grounds for entrapment if you are unaware of the sting operation taking place?
    Entrapment occurs when a law enforcement officer (or agent thereof) induces a person to commit a crime when that person is otherwise not predisposed to commit the crime. It wouldn't typically have anything at all to do with a "sting operation" (i.e., catching criminals committing crimes has nothing whatsoever to do with "entrapment").

View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio.
    My question is when doing an alchol compliance(sting operation) do you have to have a notice or do they just show up? When is it grounds for entrapment if you are unaware of the sting operation taking place?
    My family and I were having this debate and was wondering if you could provide some insight on this matter. Thank you.
    Officials "can" issue a press release of an advanced notice, sure, do they have to, NO! I can guarantee that places that sell alcohol/liquor, train employees on the proper procedure for sales to the public, and included in their Employee hire packet are forms to be signed outlining State/Local laws on this and the employee is required to sign the paper acknowledging this.

As stated, there is no such "Defense" of legally arguing Entrapment. Any reasonable person knows that 21 is the legal age to purchase booze. This isn't the olden days of 3.2% beer that 18 year old persons could buy.

In all the years on these forums, I've heard exactly one case of actual entrapment. Laying a trap for criminals is not legal "entrapment."

The one case went something like this:
    COP: Move your car from this lot.
    DRIVER: I'm too drunk to drive.
    COP: Move your car or I'll throw you in jail.
    DRIVER: OK.
    COP: You're under arrest for drunk driving.

1. Sponsored Links