Default Failure to do Community Service - What Can I Do Now?

State: Oklahoma

First let me start by saying, I messed up big time. I did some very stupid things. Back in November of 2004 me and a buddy had taken some rolled up dimes to be cashed in at a bank. We noticed they just handed the cash right over and didn't open them up. So we then had the bright idea to fill the DIME rolls with PENNIES. I know, I know..stupid. I was taken to the station where I confessed and wrote a statement. They let me go and said they'd probably contact me.

Almost a month later, my family lost our home due to taxes. My father has always been well off and we had lived there for 20 years. Built it from the ground up, was to be passed down in our family. This was crushing to me. I lost my friends, my job, everything. We since moved 50 miles away. I had all but forgotten about my little infraction until I read on the internet I had a warrant for "obtaining money by false pretences". So I got a lawyer and went to court and was sentenced to 120 hours community service, fines, and a budget class. Sounds like no big deal right...well my new job found out about this and since I handled credit cards and such I was fired. So here I was 50 miles away from everything I loved with no job and no money living with my Father and his wife. This combined with the fact that I was a "convict", I sank into a deep depression, drew the curtains and barely left the house...neglecting my community service and fines.

I know its hard to see how someone could make such a mistake, but I did. And now I read online that I have a warrant for not doing the community service. I've never been in trouble or been to jail and I'm scared to death. I'm not the jail type either. I've been volunteering at an Animal Shelter and hope to pay the fines off and take the class soon. But my question is, is all this for not?

Is there no way to repair the damage I've already done? If I was to meet all their requirements (2 1/2 years late) would it make a difference? Or am I going to jail no matter what? This entire situation is eating away at me and has been for years. I just want to be free of this and get on with my life. I've been held down by this for way too long!

Default Re: Failure to do Community Service - What Can I Do Now?

If I were you I would do and document community service ("better late than never") ASAP, then get a laywer in the County where the warrant is pending to submit proof of compliance to the court and to try to negotiate a resolution of the warrant which will have the least possible impact on you. It's possible that this can be resolved with the completion of your sentence and the payment of additional fines.

Default Re: Failure to do Community Service - What Can I Do Now?

Thanks for the reply. That is what I'll do. I hope to get all this over with.

1. Sponsored Links