Default Can You Require a Home Buyer to Insure for Dog Bites

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Texas.
    Am about to sell all the properties I have. One of my tenants wants to buy the house he is renting. For a few years he has been asking to allowed him to have a rottweiler dog. Every time the answer was NO. Now that he wants to buy the house, can I force him to get insurance before or when he gets a dog? Who will be liable if the dog bites or hurts someone? Am familiar with Texas laws when it comes to renting. When it comes to selling, not much. I want to be able to tell him where in the law it says he must have insurance, umbrella insurance, etc.
    This is my problem. If I sell the house on the 1st of May, 2019 and he gets the house on the 2nd of May 2019, how can I force him to get insurance? Do I add that to the contract? Again, who will be liable if the dog hurts someone.
    Please be specific.
    Thank you

Default Re: Rottweiler Dog

You can't force him to do anything.

If you are concerned about your liability, you won't have any after you sell it.

There's no law that says he has to have insurance.

If he has to get a mortgage he will have to buy insurance. If he's paying cash, it's his choice.

If his dog bites someone, it's on him.

Default Re: Can You Require a Home Buyer to Insure for Dog Bites

If you are selling the house on a land contract / contract for deed (seller financing), you will require insurance in your contract.

If you are engaging in an ordinary sale, where the seller gains title at closing, following closing you will have no further responsibility for the property and no say over whether or not the buyer acquires insurance.

1. Sponsored Links