Default Still Haven't Heard Anything from Fighting a Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

Some may recall my post from back in November about a 5 over the limit ticket. I opted to fight it and got everything sent out certified mail, confirmation showed that the court received my documents more than a week before the due date and promptly cashed my $238 check. Here we are, now knocking on the door of 5 months later (7 months since the ticket) and I haven't heard a peep. I checked the status online and it says

"22350 - VC22350-I- Unsafe Speed for Prevailing Conditions

A payment cannot be made to the case because it currently has an active case flag of 'TBD'.

A payment cannot be made to the case because it currently has an active case flag of 'TB'.

A payment cannot be made to the case because it currently has an active case flag of 'EPAYI'."

When I did my trial by written declaration, I was told 8-12 weeks which was fine, 20 weeks is now annoying. I called the courthouse and was told that the case is still pending. Are you kidding me?

I haven't gotten my money back so I didn't win yet. And my insurance just renewed with a clean driving record which tells me I haven't lost yet. What gives?

Default Re: Still Haven't Heard Anything from Fighting a Ticket

It might help to actually head down to the courthouse. It is much easier for a clerk to blow you off if you are on the phone.

Do you mean you have mailed in your TBD statement, and have not heard since?

Quote Quoting zeljo
    View Post
    Do you mean you have mailed in your TBD statement, and have not heard since?
    I presume that means Trial By Declaration, if so, yes, they received it December 5th last year

I would suggest that you get a copy of your "Case Summary" and also file a motion to dismiss for lack of prosecution. This motion may or may not be granted but at least it should get your case going again.
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

Before you do what Jim says, bear in mind that a delayed conviction means no points yet on your DMV record and no change in your insurance. Also, I don't recall what kind of case you had but, unless you had a fantastic one and/or the cop doesn't submit his statement, you will probably be convicted in TBD. Say you are found guilty 1 year after the date of the ticket: you've saved yourself 1 year of increased insurance premium. If you are eligible for traffic school, this is not all that important... though there is always a relatively small chance it won't be granted.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    It might help to actually head down to the courthouse. It is much easier for a clerk to blow you off if you are on the phone.
    Did exactly that this morning. As soon as she pulled up the case she said "oh, I see exactly why you're here." Apparently it didn't make the calender or something so it wasn't flagging in their system or something like that. She issued a dismissal and processed my refund, said to expect a check in the mail within 60 days

There you go.

1. Sponsored Links