Default Forgery of Co-Workers' Names on Reports

There is an assistant director at a county children and youth services who is signing caseworkers names and putting her initials next to their name on letters that go out to families telling them there is a referral on their family for physical or sexual abuse. Caseworkers have been unaware that she is signing their names until recently because these letters were never sent out until now. Families are calling caseworkers and asking about these letters because their name is signed on it but the caseworker doesnt know anything about it because they were never told she is signing their name. My question is...is this forgery and is it against the law?

Default Re: Forgery

Quote Quoting The truth
    View Post
    There is an assistant director at a county children and youth services who is signing caseworkers names and putting her initials next to their name on letters that go out to families telling them there is a referral on their family for physical or sexual abuse. Caseworkers have been unaware that she is signing their names until recently because these letters were never sent out until now. Families are calling caseworkers and asking about these letters because their name is signed on it but the caseworker doesnt know anything about it because they were never told she is signing their name. My question is...is this forgery and is it against the law?
    You did not indicated in what state this is taking place and that matters since this will be an issue of state law. It is likely not forgery since the document — the letters — are what they purport to be. Moreover, the assistant director likely has the authority to send such letters. Whether she is violating some law or rule in putting her subordinates name on them with her initials though can't be determined without knowing the state. I suspect it won't be anything criminal, however.

Quote Quoting The truth
    View Post
    There is an assistant director at a county children and youth services who is signing caseworkers names and putting her initials next to their name on letters that go out to families telling them there is a referral on their family for physical or sexual abuse.
    Is the referral valid?

Yes

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Yes
    How do you know? What did I miss?

The OP asked originally if it was considered forgery for a supervisor at children and youth services to sign the referral with a case worker's name and put her initials next to it. The answer to that was no.

I think it is safe to assume that the referral the OP is talking about is the same document. If so the referral is valid.

What I would like to know is how the OP knows whose signature is whose?

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    The OP asked originally if it was considered forgery for a supervisor at children and youth services to sign the referral with a case worker's name and put her initials next to it. The answer to that was no.

I think it is safe to assume that the referral the OP is talking about is the same document. If so the referral is valid.

What I would like to know is how the OP knows whose signature is whose?
    Probably from the initials.

Agreed with the other answer. Assuming that no actual laws/regulations/rules are being violated, which is probable, the only likely solution is to complain to HR that your supervisor/manager is behaving in an unprofessional manner. It would be perfectly legal and professional to just say contact the case worker (reference the name) and copy the case worker. It is implying the case worker wrote the letter and not bothering to copy the case worker of the letter that is unprofessional. The manager can write any letter they want and tell the unhappy recipient to go complain to the case worker about it. But the entire method as it is handled is unprofessional and poorly done. Not something I would want to defend to senior management anywhere I have worked. Ordering your subordinate workers is one thing. Blind siding them by not copying them on letters you sent out in their name is something very different. My prior senior management would not have cared (much) about me getting my subordinate employees unhappy but taking an action in those subordinate's name without telling them makes me (and my bosses) look incompetent. Which my bosses would care a lot about.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Probably from the initials.
    The thing is I could see a situation where caseworkers sign their letters and supervisors approve them by initialing them.

I think it is also possible that the supervisor wrote the letters but doesn't want to get the calls associated with it.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    The thing is I could see a situation where caseworkers sign their letters and supervisors approve them by initialing them.

I think it is also possible that the supervisor wrote the letters but doesn't want to get the calls associated with it.
    I am sure that is the bolded is the case. The OP wouldn't be complaining about it if the former was what is happening. I agree with DAWW that its unprofessional not to at least copy the caseworker whose name is being used.

1. Sponsored Links