Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Seeking Permanent Residency Based on Marriage After Visa Expired

My fiancee' and I are planning on getting married soon. Her tourist visa expired over a year ago while she was staying with her brother (who is a US Citizen.) She made Lawful Legal Entry and overstayed her visa. We have been dating for over 6 months. She is not on any government welfare and completely supports herself. She has ZERO criminal activity and arrests. I say these things because im pretty sure they are all taken into account when filing for a Permanent Visa while going through the naturalization process.

My question is What forms so I need to fill out, when, and in what order. What Precautionary steps do I need to take when filing the paperwork to make sure there are no hang ups. I have heard stories where a husband filed taxes separately that caused a hang up on the Naturalization.

Can someone point me in the correct direction

Default Re: Marriage After Visa Expired

Quote Quoting IamWill80
    View Post
    My fiancee' and I are planning on getting married soon. Her tourist visa expired over a year ago while she was staying with her brother (who is a US Citizen.) She made Lawful Legal Entry and overstayed her visa. We have been dating for over 6 months. She is not on any government welfare and completely supports herself. She has ZERO criminal activity and arrests. I say these things because im pretty sure they are all taken into account when filing for a Permanent Visa while going through the naturalization process.

My question is What forms so I need to fill out, when, and in what order. What Precautionary steps do I need to take when filing the paperwork to make sure there are no hang ups. I have heard stories where a husband filed taxes separately that caused a hang up on the Naturalization.

Can someone point me in the correct direction
    I am going to tell you that the correct direction is to hire an immigration attorney after you get married. If you are married her status can be changed while she is in the US since she entered lawfully. If you petition for a fiancÚ visa then she has to return to her home country first and you may have to wait for an extended amount of time for her to be granted a visa...it could be a couple of years even.

The immigration attorney is an absolute must. The political climate in this country is horrible for immigration right now and you don't want to risk trying to do it without an attorney.

Yes I agree

Are you a US citizen? If not, things are very dire.

There are essentially two ways if you are a US Citizen. She can stay here, since she entered legally, and adjust her status once she is married to you. The other option is for her to leave and you to apply for a K-1 (fiancee) visa for her to reenter. This is really only a good idea if she needs to go back before you get married. The K-1 gives her an entry and 90 days for you to get hitched. Things are stickier if she would need to leave the US for any reason prior to the six months or so it will take for the adjustment of status to go through.

The adjustment of status is the same whether she comes in on K-1 or stays here. Once married, you petition for her and she applies for residence. You provide the affidavit of support and possibly a few other ancillary forms. It's best to have an experienced attorney because even notwithstanding the hostile immigration climate these days, just omitting a form can cause substantial delays that put her in limbo for things like travel.

Yes Sir All, Also a Federal DoD Employee. Not sure if that makes a Difference.

Your employer will not make any difference in the time required or the process. If you are a service member, there are some advantages in specific situations; contact the USCIS's Military Helpline.

Did she stay past the expiration date of her I-94 authorized stay or the visa in her passport? The I-94 is the key. If it is more than 1 year then she has a 3 year bar to entering the US once she leaves. Overstays are "forgiven" for the immediate relative of a US citizen. This is the well known exemption to allow someone who would have great difficulty otherwise to legitimize their stay in the US. Immigration forums have numerous horror stories of difficulties of US citizens. Remember that the affidavit of support you file applies for as long as 10 years even in the event of a divorce; this is not waivable as part of a settlement or alimony award.

If she has been working without authorization, that is a serious matter. It is particularly critical to know the basis on which she obtained employment. If she made a claim to be a US citizen, she is in big trouble. I hope she did not commit identity theft in order to do so. Filing of income taxes is required for even illegal work using an ITIN number. If she has not filed her income tax (and FICA taxes if she is self employed), she should do so. She should use a CPA or enrolled agent to be sure they are done correctly for all applicable years.

On a personal level, knowing someone for 6 months is a relatively short time. Becoming engaged in that amount of time to someone illegally in the US should make you extremely cautious. As for your assertion that she has not committed a crime, overstaying the authorized entry is against US law which is a definition of a crime and makes her deportable. If you intend to make your DOD job your career, you need to really investigate her illegal actions on your future with the federal government.

You really need to become far more informed. Many couples in your situation file on their own without the use of an attorney. IMO, because of possible effects on your career, I suggest you consult an attorney before you go any further with this relationship and marriage plans.

In November of last year you wrote of your fiancÚ leaving you. Is this a new fiancÚ already or did the one in that thread return? I would have to think it’s a new one since it’s been just about 6 months since that last thread and you state you’ve been dating over 6 months. You don’t mention how long you’ve known this person though.

If so, I am with okisnotok on this one. You need to really know the person you’re involved with so as to not jeopardize your future with the DOD. Find an immigration attorney to guide you.

The fact you ignore her criminal activity is curious to me. First, she has over stayed her tourist visa. More problematic is she is working. It is illegal to work while on a tourist visa. If she entered the US under false pretenses, it’s another problem.

She is subject to deportation and denial of reentry as we speak. She also cannot convert her visa to an immigration visa. Once she went out of status, her visa was voided (even a visa allowing multiple entries). You can’t change the status of a voided visa unless there is an exemption allowing it.

she really needs an attorney before doing anything.

She has over stayed 1.5 years. She stayed with her brother who is a legal US Citizen. Then we met. I'm almost 40. Been married and divorced. Silly to some fishy and to soon for others it's all subjective. When someone makes you feel amazing and goes out of their way to make to smile because it make you feel alive then I dont care what society thinks about how long one should wait to be married. I'm not 18, this isnt my 1st marriage. Waited almost 10 years and dated many woman till I came across her. She is awesome and makes me happy so I asked...
    As far as work she helps her friend clean houses. Nothing major...
    Her only illegal activity is the overstay and "helping her friend" clean houses.

I know the overstay is forgiven if she becomes the immediate relative of a Citizen and is authorized to stay in the US while her status is changed. Unless she wants or Needs to go home for some reason. Then she has to wait and file a K1 I think.

Some date yrs, Some people elope, some wait 6 months some wait a yr. In all seriousness I am not looking forward to being cross examined and judged by some judgmental immigration asshole. I know they have a job to do and call but its shitty.
    Just was looking to WHAT NOT TO DO...

Quote Quoting IamWill80
    View Post
    Yes Sir All, Also a Federal DoD Employee. Not sure if that makes a Difference.
    Are you cleared?

Yes to which They will find out once I'm married . Assuming another Interview would take place shortly there after... Who knows... Theyll find out when I update OPM..

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast