Default What Happens if Your Vehicle is Impounded and it's Not Worth the Fees to Recover

My question involves traffic tickets and towing from the state of: Pennsylvania

Specifically Pittsburgh

My car was towed months ago due to parking (without city permit) tickets I couldn't pay for a long time. (I wasn't aware of some resources that could have helped me). The car's value isn't worth what I'd have to pay to get it back; in fact it's is probably destroyed by now. What do I do as far as title, registration, and wanting to get another vehicle or renew my license some time in the future?

Thank you.

Default Re: Towed Due to Unpaid Parking Tickets - Not Worth the Fees to Recover. What Now

I don't think that your obligation for the debt has anything to do with whether you want your car back or not.

If your driver license was suspended over this, you aren't getting it back without paying the fines and I suppose that the DMV could refuse to allow registration of any subsequent vehicle purchase.

I suggest that the DMV would be a better place to get answers to your questions.

How much money do you owe?

Default Re: What Happens if Your Vehicle is Impounded and it's Not Worth the Fees to Recover

If your car is sold or destroyed as a result of your abandoning it after it is impounded, the lot should follow proper procedures to give you notice and to properly transfer title.

Even if you abandon the vehicle, you may end up owing money for storage if the vehicle is worth less than the fees you accrue before it can be sold or scrapped.

You will continue to owe your parking tickets. If you have incurred court costs in association with parking ticket proceedings and your driver's license has been suspended over those costs, you should expect to have to pay those costs to have your driver's license restored.

1. Sponsored Links