Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Dissolve Life Estate

Yes, there are wills that take care of a deceased person's estate. Then there are relationships between parents and children and husbands and wives. I guess you don't know what boilerplate is.

What the children do or don't do has nothing to do with the will after probate.

Mom married this guy. Hopefully she loved him and were good friends. The kids should remember that if not for the green-eyed-monster.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Boilerplate or not, it was included in the life estate. Obviously mom did not intend for her children to pay to support her husband's living arrangements. You can suggest that they do so to help preserve their future asset, but to tell them that mom wanted them to do that is obviously incorrect and a little bit unkind.
    I didn't tell anyone to do anything. I said to think about it.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Yes, there are wills that take care of a deceased person's estate. Then there are relationships between parents and children and husbands and wives. I guess you don't know what boilerplate is.

What the children do or don't do has nothing to do with the will after probate.

Mom married this guy. Hopefully she loved him and were good friends. The kids should remember that if not for the green-eyed-monster.
    Mom did marry this guy and she also stated in her will how she wanted him taken care of. Had she wanted her kids to take care of the property while he was alive and living in it there is no reason to think that she wouldn't have put that in the will. I know what boilerplate is and I also know it can be removed if it doesn't fit the situation or wishes of the person writing the document. You are adding assumptions that have no basis in known facts. It seems that you think you are in touch with the dead.

Now you are piling on more evil intent by inferring the children are jealous in some way where there is nothing in the OP's posts that says or even implies that. It isn't jealousy to not want to have to pay someone else's bills.

Do you have family? Parents, a brother or sister or several? Would you help them financially if they asked you?

You keep missing the point.

Now you are piling on more evil intent by inferring the children are jealous in some way where there is nothing in the OP's posts that says or even implies that. It isn't jealousy to not want to have to pay someone else's bills.
    Quote Quoting LMcD3000
    View Post
    Of course! We plan on speaking with an attorney. Hard to find things online that speak to the subtleties. We want to understand what we could offer vs. simply offering to help monetarily with repairs vs. helping with finding subs, etc.
    Sibs and I are all busy with raising young kids, far away; he is retired, sitting pretty on a nest egg and nothing else to do, glass always half full.

I guess i am letting emotion get in the way.

Just want to understand what our options are in a very surface way and plan to dig deeper. Thanks so much again for your help.
    While I'm not saying that OP and the siblings are bad people in any way, this is about the money plain and simple.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Do you have family? Parents, a brother or sister or several? Would you help them financially if they asked you?

You keep missing the point.

While I'm not saying that OP and the siblings are bad people in any way, this is about the money plain and simple.
    Of course its about the money. Its about the fact that they should not have to pay money that they are not obligated to pay. He is their stepfather, and while he might be "family" to them, he might not be either. He might just be the guy mom married after their father died...long after they were adults with children and maybe even grandchildren of their own.

Wow. Glad that this is more complicated to the rest of you and not cut and dry.

I personally have no interest in the estate and fully intended on giving my share to my siblings upon his death. However I am also the only one who can afford the maintenance currently. The others are struggling and have young families to keep up with.

Additionally I am geographically undesirable to be able to make sure that the repairs are being done in a way that is cost effective. There has been some question as to the efficacy of the repairs sustained so far.

I do absolutely see the point that the husband (of 5 years....) is investing his nest egg into a money pit and doesn't want to fritter it away on something that is not going to be his to pass down to his son, who is living in the house as well.

However it is not in my interest to invest my family's funds in this and my siblings, while they want the estate for sentimental and investment purposes, do not have money or time to fix it up. Additionally for the record, I have given plenty of help to my sibs in the past. This is not about greed or jealousy. It is about what we are able to do as our time and finances allow.

We will speak with him and see what he would like to do. Thank you for your comments. Good food for thought looking at it from an outsider's perspective.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2