Default How to Get an Adult Daughter to Move Out

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Michigan

I have been asking my daughter nicely to move out since August of 2018. Finally I gave her an eviction notice December 1st. She was not out Jan 1st and so went to Allegan county court house and set up a hearing date. When I got home she assured me that she would be out March 1st and to please not go through with the eviction. The hearing was dismissed as a "No Show."
    March 1st she did move out. She didn't take a lot of stuff with her but, for the past month and a half she has not been staying at our house. She is a opioid addict and I figured she would just flop on whoever's couch she could flop on. She was doing just that until last night when this person dropped her off on the curb with all her stuff. (stuff being just clothes and junk, no furniture.)
    I called the police because she was screaming the F-Bomb at this girl and this girl was screaming back. I kept saying please be respectful of the neighbors. Neither listened.
    My question becomes what constitutes a "moved out ?" The police are saying that she still lives there and I am saying NO she doesn't. She moved out March 1st. She is saying and doing whatever she can to stay at my house and I want her out.!!!
    I was told be the tenants union here in Grand Rapids that I should go to the court and ask for a "24hr move out" since I have already have gone through the 30 day eviction notice way back in December and just tell them that you didn't know the law or what to do and hopefully they will grant that and she will be forcibly removed in 24hrs.
    Is that right ?? My attorney said get a "trespassing hearing." I talked to courthouse and they said there is no such thing as a "trespassing hearing " and to just call the cops.
    I am in the middle of building a house and do not have time for any of this.!!!! I don't want to have to go back to the whole "30 day notice" thing all over again !!! PLEASE ADVISE. Thnx Tim

Default Re: Daughter to Move Out

Sorry, but you will have to file for eviction again. This time go all the way, no matter what she says. A drug addict will lie and beg for another chance and screw you over the minute you capitulate.

You shouldn't have let her back in the house, no matter what the police told you. The police are not lawyers and they say whatever it takes to de-escalate bad situations.

Isn't there something about "Suspected Drug Use" where someone can be evicted in 24hrs ?? And in that case, would they have to drop dirty to prove it or can it just be suspected ???

https://courts.michigan.gov/Administ...rms/dc100e.pdf

That may help, but it looks like as per condition 1 this form is not applicable

Quote Quoting t_bell40
    View Post
    until last night when this person dropped her off on the curb with all her stuff. (stuff being just clothes and junk, no furniture.)
    I called the police because she was screaming the F-Bomb at this girl and this girl was screaming back. I kept saying please be respectful of the neighbors. Neither listened.
    My question becomes what constitutes a "moved out ?" The police are saying that she still lives there and I am saying NO she doesn't.
    What was the resolution of all this? The police have no competency to pass judgment on whether she did or didn't "move out" and didn't have any authority to require that you let her back into your home. So...what finally happened?
    Quote Quoting t_bell40
    View Post
    My attorney said. . . .
    None of the anonymous strangers here will be able to provide better information than your attorney.

1. Sponsored Links