Default Pension Administrator Says That My Pension Can be Garnished

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Indiana

I have now been informed by GM benefit center that my pension can indeed be garnished. All of it!

Default Re: Is My Pension Protected

Quote Quoting wplanck
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Indiana

I have now been informed by GM benefit center that my pension can indeed be garnished. All of it!
    It's quite possible that the person you talked to at the benefit center doesn't really know the law. Unless it was a lawyer at the center who responded I'd be a bit skeptical of that response. Your pension is likely an ERISA pension (did you ask about that too?) and if it is, most creditors cannot touch it. Even if it is isn't, it's likely the applicable state law won't allow it to be garnished. You might want to see an attorney in your state who handles employee benefits law and knows ERISA for advice on whether the creditor can reach your pension.

1. Sponsored Links