Default Public Defender is Not Showing Up in Court

My question relates to legal practice in the state of: Louisana
    My boyfriend has been going to court on 2 criminal charges since july of last year. Well he has 1 charge from Feb and 1 from july. He has been in court everytime but his lawyer has never been there. He has tried to contact him several times to no avail. he has never even met him. They keep putting him off. do we have good grounds to file for an ineffective assistance of counsel motion with the court?

Default Re: Public Defender Not Showing Up in Court

HE needs to at his next court appearance notify the judge that he needs to get a new lawyer because this one isn't showing up.

An ineffective assistance of counsel claim is made after a conviction.

Default Re: Public Defender Not Showing Up in Court

Quote Quoting Pinkieelee
    View Post
    My question relates to legal practice in the state of: Louisana
    do we have good grounds to file for an ineffective assistance of counsel motion with the court?
    Typically ineffective assistance of counsel (IAC) is something raised after the defendant is convicted. There is not enough information here to know if the attorney is providing competent representation or not. A lot depends on what the hearings were for, why the attorney could not be there, and what impact the attorney's absence has had on your boyfriend's case. If your boyfriend believes his attorney is not representing him well he may dismiss his attorney and find another one to represent him. However, that might result in disqualifying the public defender's office from representing him. That might mean that the court appoints some other counsel to represent him at state expense or it might leave him on his own to find a lawyer to represent him. He might want to discuss the issue of replacing counsel with a local criminal defense lawyer to find out how that would go.

1. Sponsored Links