Default Filing an Affidavit of Non-Responsibility for a Red Light Camera Ticket in Washington

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington

I recently received a red light ticket from the City of Bellevue. I was not the one driving the car at the time of the incident, although I was one of the passengers. From the affidavit of non-responsibility on the violationinfo.com website (as mentioned in the ticket), I need to name the driver. But looks like I'm not required to do that by law.

I understand that I can send my own declaration along with their affidavit with the driver row blank or unknown. Do any of you guys have an experience with this? How successful is this to get the ticket dismissed? Will I be asked to appear in court?

Default Re: Red Light Ticket Wa State - Affidavit of Non-Responsibility

Quote Quoting RCW 46.63.075. Safety camera infractions—Presumption.
    (1) In a traffic infraction case involving an infraction detected through the use of an automated traffic safety camera under RCW 46.63.170 or detected through the use of an automated school bus safety camera under RCW 46.63.180, proof that the particular vehicle described in the notice of traffic infraction was in violation of any such provision of RCW 46.63.170 and 46.63.180, together with proof that the person named in the notice of traffic infraction was at the time of the violation the registered owner of the vehicle, constitutes in evidence a prima facie presumption that the registered owner of the vehicle was the person in control of the vehicle at the point where, and for the time during which, the violation occurred.

(2) This presumption may be overcome only if the registered owner states, under oath, in a written statement to the court or in testimony before the court that the vehicle involved was, at the time, stolen or in the care, custody, or control of some person other than the registered owner.
    The statute does not explicitly state that you must identify the person who was in control of the vehicle. If you don't want to share that information you can fill out the affidavit that you are non-responsibility and see what happens.

1. Sponsored Links