Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to Find Out if Co-Workers Have Been Disciplined

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Indiana

I am maybe disciplined for an issue I believe others at the firm have committed. I am concerned this will become a bigger issue at performance review time and I will be severely reprimanded or terminated. How can I assuredly determine if others have had the same issues without being disciplined?

Default Re: Disciplined

By asking the others (who are under no obligation to tell you anything). Your employer certainly won't (or shouldn't) disclose such things to you.

Quote Quoting DogDays5400
    View Post

I am maybe disciplined for an issue I believe others at the firm have committed. I am concerned this will become a bigger issue at performance review time and I will be severely reprimanded or terminated. How can I assuredly determine if others have had the same issues without being disciplined?
    It really doesn't matter if others have done the exact same thing. Unless it is to the point where it has become the defacto company policy it isn't really going to help you. And the only way it would help you then is in an unemployment claim.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    It really doesn't matter if others have done the exact same thing. Unless it is to the point where it has become the defacto company policy it isn't really going to help you. And the only way it would help you then is in an unemployment claim.
    Someone told me it is a policy. I'd like to know if others have had a similar issue with their performance and how they dealt with it.

View Post
    Someone told me it is a policy. I'd like to know if others have had a similar issue with their performance and how they dealt with it.
    Is that someone your supervisor or a senior employee? Or at least someone that will admit to superiors that it was they that steered you wrong?

If not it really doesn't matter. You are focusing on the wrong thing here. You need to be thinking about how you are going to present this to the people that you are worried about disciplining you, giving you a problem at your review and firing you.

Giving the supervisor a bunch of history that they likely already know about isn't going to help you. The only place info like you want might help you is in a fight for unemployment insurance.

Ask the others that may have had issues. There is not a big database out there of issues all employees have had during reviews.

View Post
    I'm sure you would. However, you do not have a right under the law to know how other employee were disciplined, even for the same infraction.

View Post

Are you saying that you did not do what you may be accused of or are you saying that other employees have done the same thing that you will be or have been accused of?

I would not be so concerned if it is the later because if the infraction was serious enough to warrant termination, the other employees would have been terminated and no longer working for the company. The company doesn't have to wait for a performance review to terminate an employee and if the company places a report in your personal file, they would have already done so. And you would already know that. You can see your personal file any time you ask.

Who do you report to? That is who knows your work and will write your performance review. Have you spoken with your report?

Are you worried that the review will be view by your report's report and somehow lead to a termination? That is very unlikely. Your report will also have a performance review written about their performance and it would not look good if they overlooked something that could lead to your termination.

A reprimand is usually in the form of write-up in your personal file. They won't be flogging you or taking away your lunch break or making you take a cut in salary.

What the performance review could be used for is the level of a raise or bonus you may receive.

There is always next year if you stay with the company.

Good questions! Thanks for the feedback.

( I wished I known about this forum 5 years ago when I was in a similar situation and pushed for meeting with the person above my manager for a performance issue based on some feedback from a mentor that I may have misconstrued and did not inquire further about his comment. I would have only reported to the direct manager who was not that hard to work with or impress. I likely would have breezed by and would not be in this situation today)

View Post
    Good questions! Thanks for the feedback.
    And your answers are...?

There is an organizational hierarchy (like a family tree) of who reports to who in most corporations. You should only interact with your direct report and not worry about what they need to do with their reports.

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    And your answers are...?
    Read post #1.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast