Default Stuck in 5 Year Security Service Contract with No Reasonable Cancellation Fee

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Texas

Hello, a year ago I signed a contract with a security company. I just moved to my house and decided to use the previous owners security. I called them and on phone they said it was a cancel anytime contract service so I asked them to go ahead and make an install appointment. The guy came and installed and after gave me papers to sign. My fault, I scanned over the fine print and thought it was for the monthly payments. I later find out, the fine print had me locked me for a 5 year contract. There was no verbal indication of this at all before signing as they initially told me it was a cancel anytime contract service. Now here I am a year later with their security ALWAYS giving out false alarms, so much so that we have completely stopped using it. They came to fix it once, but that changed nothing.

I called them many times in the beginning to try to get out of their contract explaining that I would be happy to pay a cancellation fee. They told me that the only cancellation fee they would give me was the full contract life price! I tried to reason with them as their service hardly even works as it is but they still wont budge. I know that me not paying this, they would just sell it to a debt collection agency for a fraction of the price all while destroying my credit Ive worked really hard to build. It's completely unreasonable they wont give me a cancellation fee that makes sense.

Is there any way out of this contract? I wouldn't even mind spending the same cancellation money on a lawyer who would be able to get me out of the contract just as a satisfaction that at least it was not this scam company that got the money.

Default Re: Stuck in 5 Year Contract with No Reasonable Cancellation Fee

If the system doesn't work I would think they have breached the contract. Go talk to a lawyer and take the contract.

It just barely works. faulty alarms always go off. I'm just worried they would simply argue that it is still technically a working system but with false alarms.

They can argue whatever they want. It will depend on what your contract says.

1. Sponsored Links