Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can a Passenger Get Ticket for Unattended Vehicle

I agree with the other posts - parking tickets are normally written to the vehicle. I have not seen one written to a person, but that doesn't mean the ticket wasn't written for another infraction.

But, this brings up a good point - EVERYONE has an excuse for leaving their cars where there are not supposed to be parked. Some excuses are valid - but still WRONG. Go to your local Walmart (or favorite store) and watch the number of people parking in front of the store and sitting for several minutes. These people cause traffic headaches and safety concerns for others. I have no issues with someone pulling up/dropping off, and then getting out of the way. Watch the people pulling up into the handicap spots. I have no problem with legit handicap spots, but I would bet a majority of these are mis-used.

I applaud the police officer for awarding the ticket - he was doing what was right. It's a shame he was not in a good mood when giving the ticket, but as the OP pointed out, it was cold and they made him come out of the warm to do his job.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    Belle, it is highly unlikely the citation was written to you. It was likely written to the vehicle. Example: If you loaned your car to a friend and they got a parking ticket at the airport, you would get the citation in the mail and you would be on the hook for it (unless there is something different about parking tickets at airports).
    This was different as he waited for someone to get there and demanded the license. He wrote it with my name on it.

Quote Quoting yyz0
    View Post
    When you arrived at the vehicle alone, did you have keys to it and/or open the door?
    Nope, I didn’t have time to do anything really that showed that I left the car there except apologizing I guess.

Quote Quoting BelleLife
    View Post
    This was different as he waited for someone to get there and demanded the license. He wrote it with my name on it.
    Are you sure it is a standard, everyday parking ticket?

Did he ask if you were the driver of the car, or just an occupant?

If it is a moving violation and he did not see you driving the car, he's got a problem if you contest it. He probably writes so many citations in a day he doesn't care if he loses a few.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    Are you sure it is a standard, everyday parking ticket?

Did he ask if you were the driver of the car, or just an occupant?

If it is a moving violation and he did not see you driving the car, he's got a problem if you contest it. He probably writes so many citations in a day he doesn't care if he loses a few.
    He marked for “unattended vehicle”. He certainly did not see my drive the car because I did not. He did not ask me anything except for my driver’s license.

I appreciate your input.

I will likely just end up paying it as it may not be worth the trouble but I certainly feel that he should have clarified the situation. But like adjusterjack said, the first back to the vehicle could be fair game.

Quote Quoting BelleLife
    View Post
    He marked for “unattended vehicle”. He certainly did not see my drive the car because I did not. He did not ask me anything except for my driver’s license.

I appreciate your input.

I will likely just end up paying it as it may not be worth the trouble but I certainly feel that he should have clarified the situation. But like adjusterjack said, the first back to the vehicle could be fair game.
    Maybe someone else here knows more about it but I don't think you got a typical parking ticket. I believe the cops at an airport are under the authority of Homeland Security...and they have their own set of laws which may allow a greater latitude of enforcement. Maybe what you did fell under "abandoned suspicious vehicle" and they just needed a name to attach to the vehicle for their federal database.

Does it state an amount of the fine?

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    Does it state an amount of the fine?
    50 bucks

Looks like it is for violating Maryland state laws - Sec. 11.03.01.05 B(2). I wonder if it makes a difference since it is a state law and not a local ordinance about issuing the ticket to a person associated with the vehicle versus the vehicle. With it being for an unattended vehicle I could imagine that anyone associated with the vehicle could be cited since the law does not specify that the driver must stay with the vehicle so any passenger could have stayed for the vehicle to be attended. Plus, for airports this is as much a security issue as it is a normal parking issue so it would be taken more seriously than just a parking matter.

Quote Quoting joef
    View Post
    Looks like it is for violating Maryland state laws - Sec. 11.03.01.05 B(2). I wonder if it makes a difference since it is a state law and not a local ordinance about issuing the ticket to a person associated with the vehicle versus the vehicle. With it being for an unattended vehicle I could imagine that anyone associated with the vehicle could be cited since the law does not specify that the driver must stay with the vehicle so any passenger could have stayed for the vehicle to be attended. Plus, for airports this is as much a security issue as it is a normal parking issue so it would be taken more seriously than just a parking matter.
    That is the code. It is just hard to process that a passenger will be liable.

You should note that that section of the law is not part of the vehicle code.

Subtitle 03. MARYLAND AVIATION ADMINISTRATION Chapter 11.03.01. Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport

A. Governing Law. Motor vehicle operators using the public streets, ramps, roads, and highways on the Airport shall comply with the Transportation Article, Annotated Code of Maryland.

B. Compliance With Orders.

(2) Leaving a motor vehicle unattended at curbside in front of the terminal is prohibited.

Had you left a 12-year-old out there attending the car (which might be considered unattended on its own) and the child left the car the child could have received the ticket.

I bet it carries no points. And assuming you and your husband aren't estranged there is no net difference.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    You should note that that section of the law is not part of the vehicle code.

Subtitle 03. MARYLAND AVIATION ADMINISTRATION Chapter 11.03.01. Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport

A. Governing Law. Motor vehicle operators using the public streets, ramps, roads, and highways on the Airport shall comply with the Transportation Article, Annotated Code of Maryland.

B. Compliance With Orders.

(2) Leaving a motor vehicle unattended at curbside in front of the terminal is prohibited.

Had you left a 12-year-old out there attending the car (which might be considered unattended on its own) and the child left the car the child could have received the ticket.

I bet it carries no points. And assuming you and your husband aren't estranged there is no net difference.
    I doubt/hope it carries no point. I guess nit-picking on who is liable here is not pertinent.

On another note, this turned out to be a very interesting discussion.
    Thank you all 😊

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast