Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How to Get Title to a Motorcycle Purchased Without a Title

i bought a motorcycle knowing it didn't have a title ! it was a stand up guy he is in the air force just didn't have time for this bike ! anyway checked the vin came back good . his facebook had pics of when they bought em in 2016 so.... I got what i needed to get this title . bill of sale and power of attorney! well at the dmv they didn't have any record on this bike , it is a 2016 and still had the 60 day tag from the dealership from 2016 , so it has never been registered ! doesn't the dealership at least make sure the vin gets in the database. this guy is already overseas on tour for like 3 years . convenient , how am i going to get this thing on the road ? can i get mso/mco with the p.o.a ? its worth a little rat race its got 1000 miles on it I justr want to ride

Default Re: Bought Motorcycle No Title Had What I Needed to Get Title Except Never Registered

You did not identify your state so we can't know if a bonded title is available to you. We don't know if the bike was bought in one state and transported to another. We don't know if there are any liens on the title.

It's hard to believe that in 3 years the buyer would not know where the title was assuming he ever had the title.

Default Re: Bought Motorcycle No Title Had What I Needed to Get Title Except Never Registered

I’m in Kansas ! The bike was made and sold here in Kansas ! He never got the title he never went to the dmv! I worried about a lien but wouldn’t that come up on a vin check ?

What do you mean the bike was "made" in Kansas?

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting charly-davidson
    View Post
    I’m in Kansas ! The bike was made and sold here in Kansas ! He never got the title he never went to the dmv! I worried about a lien but wouldn’t that come up on a vin check ?
    It's highly unlikely the bike was made in Kansas.

If the dealership never registered the sale with the state then the state would have no record of the VIN. If there's a lien it would be registered with the state but VIN sites don't always have all of the info, especially on motorcycles.

I'd say you have a hot mess on your hands! I'd start with the dealer to find out what the story was and then proceed from there. Kansas does have bonded titles and there are some businesses there that can help you navigate the process that you're going to be obligated to deal with.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting charly-davidson
    View Post
    I’m in Kansas !
    I keep a list of states that allow people to post bonds to get titles. Kansas is not on that list. Nor do I find anything about bonded titles in the Kansas vehicle title statute:

https://law.justia.com/codes/kansas/...section-8-135/

Since the bike is only a few years old I suggest contacting the manufacture and see if there is any help there.

Meantime, I hope you have a big back yard that you can ride the bike in.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    It's highly unlikely the bike was made in Kansas.
    Harley Davidson has a plant in Kansas City that will be closed in 2019 but was certainly in operation in 2016, making it highly likely that the bike was manufactured in Kansas, especially considering OP's user name Charly-Davidson.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    Kansas does have bonded titles.
    Really? Where did you get that from? Seriously, I'd like to update my list with a statutory reference or a form or guide from the KS Department of Revenue - Division of Vehicles.

exactly what it sounds like ! this bike has never been out of kansas

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

AJ, I misread my list of states. I was reading a different list, no need to be nasty and, when I commented on the state of manufacture I forgot that HD has a plant there so chill out.

Since There is no means to bonding the title in KS then, like you said, the OP has an even larger problem. They should contact the dealer for the sale paperwork and the OP may need an attorney to solve the issue.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Completely unrelated but what happens when you get pulled over and have a unregistered engine !

The vin number is the identifier of the entire motorcycle as manufactured. Late models have the vin on the down tube. The engine vin should be the same as the frame vin if the engine is original. So if you get pulled over, it is the frame vin they will look at.

That will be the same as riding an unregistered vehicle.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast