Default Dealer Didn't Register the Used Car I Purchased

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Connecticut; I bought a car last year at a small dealership who told me they would register the car. I have the appropriate plates. However, I was recently stopped and given a ticket for an unregistered car. I called DMV who told me the plates have not been registered since 2015. The dealership told me they did not know what happened and has the paperwork I need to register the car. They have not found it. In the meantime, I am paying the owner of the dealership a monthly payment as I financed it. What do I do. I'm worried. thanks

Default Re: Dealer Didnit' Register Used Car I Bought

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    Did you call the dealer back in 2015 - 2016 telling them that your registration card was expired and that you needed a new card? If not, then why haven't you called them about this issue over the past 4 years?
    The OP states that he or she bought the car last year. Since the purchase was in 2018 the OP could not have contacted the dealer back in 2015 or 2016 about this issue, and this isn't something that the OP has had outstanding for four years.

Quote Quoting patches123
    View Post
    What do I do. I'm worried. thanks
    Contact the CT DMV and see if it can provide you a method to get the car properly titled and registered with the documents you have. That might get the problem solved more quickly than relying on this dealership that doesn't seem to be very organized.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    The OP states that he or she bought the car last year. Since the purchase was in 2018 the OP could not have contacted the dealer back in 2015 or 2016 about this issue, and this isn't something that the OP has had outstanding for four years.

Contact the CT DMV and see if it can provide you a method to get the car properly titled and registered with the documents you have. That might get the problem solved more quickly than relying on this dealership that doesn't seem to be very organized.
    Yes, I deleted the post after I read the post again. Thanks...

With that said, OP, do you have a registration card showing the vehicle is registered? If not, then why haven't you called the dealer until you received a card?

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post

That's if they have the title. What is funny to me is, why would the dealer place used license plates on a vehicle that they have sold?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

While you can transfer plates to a newly bought car, you can't transfer plates between different owners. Sounds fishy to me.

1. Sponsored Links