Default What Rights Does the Renter of a Room Have to Object to the Landlord's Guests

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Iowa

I rent a room in a home with a 12 month lease. I am 6 months into my rental agreement. I have never been late nor disruptive. About 2 months ago, the homeowner began throwing all night parties that are very loud and run all night. She has moved additional people into the home and turned the basement into makeshift bedrooms for her friends.

One of her friends is awful and disrespectful and downright rude. I have mentioned to the homeowner that this person makes me feel uncomfortable. She told me her friend was going through some things and it wasn’t personal and it was only temporary. Fast forward a month and the homeowner kicked her out of the house during a dispute they had. It was the most calm and peaceful the house has been. Two weeks ago, the friend is back in the home and the homeowner told me it would only be for a week. She is still here two weeks later and making my life a nightmare.

I just want to be able to enjoy my time in peace without constant partying and rude housemates. I have asked her if she would be open to me leaving before the lease is up due to the change in circumstances with the additional housemates and constant noise from the parties. She told me she would not agree to that, however, I am welcome to leave but would still be responsible for the remainder of the lease payments.

My question is, what are my options?

Default Re: Room Rental

You might want to read this and give them a call.

https://www.iowalegalaid.org/resourc...and-tenant-law

Quote Quoting Shanbanan007
    View Post
    She told me she would not agree to that, however, I am welcome to leave but would still be responsible for the remainder of the lease payments.

My question is, what are my options?
    Fortunately for you Iowa has adopted the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Law.

562A.4 Administration of remedies — enforcement.
    1. The remedies provided by this chapter shall be administered so that the aggrieved party
    may recover appropriate damages. The aggrieved party has a duty to mitigate damages.
    https://www.legis.iowa.gov/law/iowaC...562A&year=2015

That means you can move out and not pay her another dime until she re-rents your room and then you'll only owe rent for the period from the day you move out to the day she re-rents.

Mitigation law requires her to re-rent as soon as reasonably possible and on the same or similar terms that she rented to you. If she doesn't, or if she fails to re-rent at all, she will not be awarded any money by a court.

Quote Quoting Shanbanan007
    View Post
    what are my options?
    1. Leave and fight over your liability for the remainder of the lease term.
    2. Leave and pay your rent through the remainder of the lease term.
    3. Stay.

4) Bose noise cancelling headphones. They're awesome.....and pricey.....but worth it.

Quote Quoting souperdave
    View Post
    4) Bose noise cancelling headphones. They're awesome.....and pricey.....but worth it.
    Living without roommates. Awesome...pricey...worth it.

1. Sponsored Links