Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Should You Settle Your Case if it's Too Emotionally Demanding

My question involves workers compensation law for the state of: CA

I had my deposition today, and I am a nervous wreck about it. My attorney says it went well but I honestly think I blew it, because I left some stuff out and I talked too much, even though my attorney said to stick to short answers, the questions were not sufficiently answered in short answers, so I had to elaborate a bit. In my peripheral vision, I saw my attorney put his face in his hand a few times, and it seemed like he was embarassed or frustrated, but he didn't say anything, which leaves me very distressed and confused.

Seeing my scheduling manager there also had an extreme emotional toll on me, which I wasn't expecting. I was totally caught off guard with him being there. I watched a video that my attorney's office sent to me saying that company reps are rarely there, so I wasn't expecting it. Now I am a nervous wreck, full of anxiety and fear, and I hate having to deal with these emotions. I already deal with anxiety, so this really triggered it. I did not show any emotion during the depo, but it all came crashing in on me when I arrived home. It's been a few hours, and I am still nervous and have broken down into tears a couple times.

I am actually thinking of just settling. I wasn't going to before, but all of these horrible emotions are just too much for me, and I don't know if I can handle it if we go to trial. Just being around my old employers fills me with depression, anxiety, and paranoia.

I don't know what to do right now. Im so confused. Please give me some advice. I'm stressed

Default Re: Emotionally Frazzled After My Deposition Today

If you expect us to provide you with anything meaningful, then my first piece of advice for you would be for you to explain what your case is all about. Even going back and looking at your previous thread doesn't help. You know that we don't read minds and therefore don't know anything that isn't in your post, right? Do you really think you've provided enough information for us to know what's going on?

Im sorry but I'm not comfortable giving out a lot of info on this public forum. I am just asking if this is something that might be possible. If that's not enough info, then perhaps I should just forget about this question. My attorney's office isnt getting back to me

Sun, it's not uncommon to be stressed out. The q/a is not important here. Some people have a greater stress level concerning employment matters. Jut try to relax, keep a clear mind, anxiety is a bear, I know, trust me.

Don't let someone ruin you, let it take it's course. Best wishes!

Thank you RJR for your understanding response. I will try.

You are most welcome. Try to talk to some close friends or such. If they have such problems, to any extent, they may be able to give some tips, or just talking may help ease your mind.

The employment game is hard to cope with, you are not alone. Don't let them control your life, stand firm.

Good luck

I am still feeling very anxious and emotionally frazzled, so I will share the main thing that bothered me today, and put me in this state. I really hope I'm not going to regret this. During this depo, the defense attorney was asking me what the details of my resignation were. I told him the injuries, plus other circumstances that I couldn't discuss.

I did not feel comfortable with that question, because my ex manager was there, and I am in the process of another lawsuit involving discrimination and unlawful harassment. I told them that it was under litigation, and I couldn't speak about it, but the attorney kept pressing me anyhow. I didn't want to give any details as to the lawsuit, as it's still in the early stages, and with that manager there, I especially didn't.

I had to take my attorney out of the room to explain the nature of the lawsuit, and why I did not want to answer the question. I told him that it had absolutely NOTHING to do with workers comp, and I didn't understand why I was continually grilled about it. He talked to the attorney, and they agreed, but then not even ten minutes later it was brought up again, and my attorney did not object, so I had to bring him out of the room AGAIN to explain exactly what the charges were, and that I felt very very uncomfortable. I got rather upset when we walked out of the room, and I felt so weird going back in there to face my ex manager again. I was so upset that it seemed my attorney was not respecting my wishes.

I felt like I was put in a very bad situation, and the fact I had to take my attorney out of the room twice to BEG him to tell the attorney not to go there, really made me feel he didn't care about me. It was awful, and this supervisor that the company sent to witness the depo, was one of the people that I actually liked in the company, and I felt so uneasy having this brought up before him, especially since the case hasn't even gone into discovery phase. I was so upset, and I think that was a major cause of my anxiety today.

I understand if you don't want to give details while there is litigation going on. That's a very reasonable response, and it's your right to withhold whatever information you aren't comfortable giving out.

But we can't provide information in a vacuum. Since you're represented, you should be getting your information from your attorney anyway. I'm sorry to put this so bluntly, but this is not a support forum.

"I had to take my attorney out of the room to explain the nature of the lawsuit, and why I did not want to answer the question. I told him that it had absolutely NOTHING to do with workers comp"

I would have suggested that you disclose your other litigation to this attorney way before you hit a deposition. This was really relevant and you gave your attorney NO chance to have the details beforehand but yet expected them to back you up on a situation they knew nothing about? Do you have a different attorney for the other litigation? Did they know you were going to be disposed for this one? It seems like maybe you need to communicate both cases to both attorneys if you want the best representation.

Quote Quoting hr for me
    View Post

I would have suggested that you disclose your other litigation to this attorney way before you hit a deposition. This was really relevant and you gave your attorney NO chance to have the details beforehand but yet expected them to back you up on a situation they knew nothing about? Do you have a different attorney for the other litigation? Did they know you were going to be disposed for this one? It seems like maybe you need to communicate both cases to both attorneys if you want the best representation.

Hello hr for me

I did disclose this information to the attorney I had been working with thus far, as well as the case manager. I also disclosed this workers comp case to the attorney from the other discrimination/harassment firm, as well as another attorney that the WC firm brought in to look at my pay stubs re: wage issues. This attorney (the one representing me at the depo)) I had never spoken with, or seen, up until yesterday. He did a decent job, but I was just disappointed that this was not disclosed to him, although I'm trying to be understanding because I know these people have other cases as well. He was basically the attorney they brought in for the deposition, as he was experienced at that.

I guess what I was most upset about, was the fact that I had to take him out a second time, and it really upset me, and put me in a bad place emotionally. But yes, this firm did have full knowledge. I just think there was bad communication.

I can see where you're coming from though, but yes, I disclosed everything to my attorneys.

I was also pretty upset that I was not informed that my former mgr would be there, although I don't know if they're required to give that info, but if I had known, I would have been better prepared to handle it emotionally.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    But we can't provide information in a vacuum. Since you're represented, you should be getting your information from your attorney anyway. I'm sorry to put this so bluntly, but this is not a support forum.
    Yes, I can understand that. This won't happen again. I wasn't really wanting emotional support, but I guess my post did come off that way. My apologies.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast