Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Emotionally Frazzled After My Deposition Today

When you sue someone you are entering into the big league. You are exposing yourself to vicious lawyers that will do and say anything to hurt your case, its what they are paid to do.

Rules surround depositions are very loose. Opposing counsel can ask you just about anything and your lawyer has very limited ability to object or stop certain questions from being asked. However, he should object while those questions are being asked to possibly prevent those answers from being brought into a trial.

I was deposed about a month ago and in the beginning my hands were clammy and my heart was racing. However, I knew what counsel wanted out of me and I wouldn't give it to him. He spent two hours asking the same question with no avail. My best response came at the end when he asked "don't you feel at least partially responsible for the accident." Well, it would be easy to say "yes." But instead I said, "I do not have experience determining fault in cases like this. That is left up to lawyers, judges and juries." He was pissed!

My advice, thicken your skin. Your are in the big league now. Especially with multiple lawsuits.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    When you sue someone you are entering into the big league. You are exposing yourself to vicious lawyers that will do and say anything to hurt your case, its what they are paid to do.

Rules surround depositions are very loose. Opposing counsel can ask you just about anything and your lawyer has very limited ability to object or stop certain questions from being asked. However, he should object while those questions are being asked to possibly prevent those answers from being brought into a trial.

I was deposed about a month ago and in the beginning my hands were clammy and my heart was racing. However, I knew what counsel wanted out of me and I wouldn't give it to him. He spent two hours asking the same question with no avail. My best response came at the end when he asked "don't you feel at least partially responsible for the accident." Well, it would be easy to say "yes." But instead I said, "I do not have experience determining fault in cases like this. That is left up to lawyers, judges and juries." He was pissed!

My advice, thicken your skin. Your are in the big league now.
    Very true, Chuck77

It was just very strange, because about a month ago, I was involved as a defendant in another depo, involving a car accident, and the attorney representing my company's insurance told me that I didn't have to answer any questions about any other cases that are in active litigation, and when the issue was brought up by defense, she immediately objected, and the defense understood and it was not brought up again, so when my attorney didn't stick up for me in this instance, it brought a lot of confusion to my mind. Somehow, the laws were different in this depo?

I was confused and frustrated. I didn't understand why it would've been an issue in THAT personal injury case, but NOT this one. The law is the law. Makes no sense.

I was actually surprised, the defense atty didn't once try to blame me for anything, but he did make some very inappropriate comments, regarding my relationship with my daughter, etc. Really weird. I think he was trying to get at my character....but then my attorney said my manager told him and the defense what a good worker I was, etc. Also a lot of technical questions about the job which, and specs which I had little knowledge of. I blew that one, as he insisted that I estimate, and I estimated WAAAAY under regarding weight of parts, etc. As soon as I told him the MRI results though, he pretty much wrapped up the questioning.

Quote Quoting SunMoon
    View Post
    Very true, Chuck77

It was just very strange, because about a month ago, I was involved as a defendant in another depo, involving a car accident, and the attorney representing my company's insurance told me that I didn't have to answer any questions about any other cases that are in active litigation, and when the issue was brought up by defense, she immediately objected, and the defense understood and it was not brought up again, so when my attorney didn't stick up for me in this instance, it brought a lot of confusion to my mind. Somehow, the laws were different in this depo?

I was confused and frustrated. I didn't understand why it would've been an issue in THAT personal injury case, but NOT this one. The law is the law. Makes no sense.
    There are a few lawyers that post here but it seems you do not need your lawyer to object. I would think that you could object yourself, cite why you are objecting and then refuse to answer. But always keep your cool.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    There are a few lawyers that post here but it seems you do not need your lawyer to object. I would think that you could object yourself, cite why you are objecting and then refuse to answer. But always keep your cool.
    Yes. You're right. I just hate sounding argumentative, or like a hostile witness though. I wanted to be as calm and friendly as possible, while still protecting what I thought were my rights, but now I don't even know what my rights are anymore. I kinda wish my attorney had told me what you just told me now.

Quote Quoting SunMoon
    View Post
    Yes. You're right. I just hate sounding argumentative, or like a hostile witness though. I wanted to be as calm and friendly as possible, while still protecting what I thought were my rights, but now I don't even know what my rights are anymore. I kinda wish my attorney had told me what you just told me now.
    I am not sure if you can object yourself, maybe an attorney will come by and comment on that.

Quote Quoting SunMoon
    View Post
    Please give me some advice.
    What exactly would you like the anonymous strangers who post here, and who know nothing about your case, to provide advice about? This is why you have an attorney.

Quote Quoting SunMoon
    View Post
    I am just asking if this is something that might be possible.
    I'm not sure what "this" refers to? Is it possible that your deposition testimony blew your case? Sure it is. It's also possible that you're overreacting. We weren't there.

Not trying to be obnoxious, and I see others have provided hand-holding type responses, but that's not really the purpose of a legal message board.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    What exactly would you like the anonymous strangers who post here, and who know nothing about your case, to provide advice about? This is why you have an attorney.

I'm not sure what "this" refers to? Is it possible that your deposition testimony blew your case? Sure it is. It's also possible that you're overreacting. We weren't there.

Not trying to be obnoxious, and I see others have provided hand-holding type responses, but that's not really the purpose of a legal message board.
    Is it possible that you are a troll who enjoys kicking people when they are down? Absolutely!

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post

Actually, you're right. I shouldn't be talking about this kinda stuff on this forum. Obviously it's inappropriate, and I think I've divulged too much info. Please moderator, just delete this thread

you can change attys at anytime and there will be a single fee shared among them.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2