Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Speeding Ticket for 30 Over Limit, What Will Give Me the Best Chance of a Reduction

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I have literally been losing sleep over worrying about this ticket, as it will decide whether I can keep my job or not.

I drive for a living, as a recovery agent (repo)
    I was coming off a 12 hr shift along with a co-worker. 430 am, freeway posts 65 mph max. I got pulled over by CHP, who stated 95 mph, I replied 95?!!
    He asked what were you 2 doing, racing priuses? I just shook my head, ashamed for going so fast. He said if he could have pulled us both over he would have.

Cited 95 in a 65 making me ineligible for traffic school in lieu of point.
    Because he did not check 'radar' on my ticket, I pled not guilty via mail, and now have my trial in 3 days.......

If my speed is not reduced to 25 mph, I literally lose my job. Period.

I have a clean record, I think in my 40 yrs of driving I have only had 1 other speeding ticket for 15 over, traffic school and done, that was at least 15 yrs ago.

I feel ashamed for my irresponsible actions and would beg the judge to consider reducing, even allowing me a deferrment if that is what it's called, a probationary period with no further tickets I would be grateful.
    Should I tell the judge what it means to my life? It's tough finding a job at my age that will support a mortgage and car payment, I could lose it all.

What would you say the chances are of getting it reduced and what should I say?

Thanks so much, whether the news is good or not so much! I need to know what to expect....

Default Re: Speeding Ticket for 30 Over Limit, What Will Give Me the Best Chance of a Reducti

Quote Quoting catwoman707
    View Post

If my speed is not reduced to 25 mph, I literally lose my job. Period.
    In that case you'd better hire a good traffic lawyer. Period.

The judge won't care about your life, he'll care that you drove like a nut job in the middle of the night.

Default Re: Speeding Ticket for 30 Over Limit, What Will Give Me the Best Chance of a Reducti

2nd on the suggestion to get a lawyer.

It also won't help you to tell the judge that you didn't know how fast you were going.

First of all, you can get a continuance of up to 30 days if you just call the court clerk and ask for one. That will given you time to hire a lawyer... if so much hangs on this, that IS the best option.

View Post
    What would you say the chances are of getting it reduced and what should I say?
    It's true, any citation for speeding more than 25 mph over the limit is presumptively ineligible for traffic school but the court still has the discretion to allow traffic school if you are otherwise eligible. You can request traffic school at your arraignment and chances are you will get it.
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

I believe it's too late to call and request a continuance, I will have to ask for it in court now, which seems like a pain for the CHP officer to have to come back a second time.
    I had read opinions from other cases that I can ask the issuing cop if he will reduce the speed but have no clue when that chance would happen.
    I have called 2 lawyers in the area and never did get a return call but I also did not follow up as I probably should have.

Quote Quoting Jim Kozlovich
    View Post
    It's true, any citation for speeding more than 25 mph over the limit is presumptively ineligible for traffic school but the court still has the discretion to allow traffic school if you are otherwise eligible. You can request traffic school at your arraignment and chances are you will get it.
    You think chances are I will get traffic school? I would love nothing more to go on Friday and be given that option with out hiring a lawyer and dragging this out longer, not to mention the cost between the nearly $500.00 fine, school cost then lawyer cost.
    What is it that a lawyer would say or ask that would be more effective than what I would say/ask?
    This is all new to me, I don't know how it all goes down.

View Post
    I believe it's too late to call and request a continuance, I will have to ask for it in court now, which seems like a pain for the CHP officer to have to come back a second time.
    You're not listening. "You believe" it's too late? Call. Also check if you can do it online.

The notice with trial date states "if you wish to change your plea or request a continuance you must submit a written request to the traffic division at least 10 days prior to trial date"
    That is where I got that idea. I will however call tmrw and ask just in case....
    Thank you for your help!

View Post
    What is it that a lawyer would say or ask that would be more effective than what I would say/ask?
    That's what lawyers spend multiple years in law school learning. You're an idiot to be driving that fast late at night and with the stakes so high, you're even more of an idiot if you try to handle it yourself.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    That's what lawyers spend multiple years in law school learning. You're an idiot to be driving that fast late at night and with the stakes so high, you're even more of an idiot if you try to handle it yourself.
    Loud and clear, I appreciate the 'help'

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast