Default Can You Become a Mortgage Loan Originator With a Criminal Record

Can I get an MLO Llicense in New Jersey if I have an expunged misdemeanor theft charge? The charge was from 7 years ago.

Default Re: Can I Get an Mlo License in New Jersey if I Have an Expunged Misdemeanor Theft Ch

I can't seem to find what NJ would consider disqualifying. You can call them and ask likely without giving your name.

Contact NJ Department of Banking & Insurance, Licensing Services Bureau, Banking licensing staff by phone at (609) 292-7272 (from menu – select 3, select 2, select 1) or send your questions via e-mail to bliconline@dobi.nj.gov for additional assistance.

Default Re: Can I Get an Mlo License in New Jersey if I Have an Expunged Misdemeanor Theft Ch

Thanks, will give that a try

Quote Quoting s3478h99
    View Post
    The charge was from 7 years ago. MLO(Mortgage loan originator)
    A 7 year old expunged misdemeanor is not likely to disqualify you but you must disclose the charge in the application and provide all backup documentation that you have.

Disclosure Questions
    Provision of complete details of all events or proceedings for any “Yes” answer to any of the Disclosure questions in the Form MU4, including copies of any applicable orders, judgments of conviction or other documents.

Evidence of the completion of the New Jersey State Police criminal history background check and information concerning any “yes” response to a disclosure question must be submitted to the Department within 5 business days of the electronic submission of the application to New Jersey through the NMLS at the following:
    https://www.nj.gov/dobi/banklicensin...oanorigin.html

The OP needs to ask the state agency or an attorney if he is required to respond yes with an expunged record before he does so.

If the answer to a question about have you ever been arrested or convicted of a crime, whether it was expunged or not is yes, then saying no would likely be viewed as lying on the application.

2009 New Jersey Code
    TITLE 2C - THE NEW JERSEY CODE OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE
    2c:52
    2C:52-27 - Effect of expungement
    2C:52-27. Effect of expungement Unless otherwise provided by law, if an order of expungement is granted, the arrest, conviction and any proceedings related thereto shall be deemed not to have occurred, and the petitioner may answer any questions relating to their occurrence accordingly, except as follows:

a. The fact of an expungement, sealing or similar relief shall be disclosed as provided in section 2C:52-8b.

b. The fact of an expungement of prior charges which were dismissed because of the person's acceptance into and successful completion of a supervisory treatment or other diversion program shall be disclosed by said person to any judge who is determining the propriety of accepting said person into a supervisory treatment or other diversion program for subsequent criminal charges; and

c. Information divulged on expunged records shall be revealed by a petitioner seeking employment within the judicial branch or with a law enforcement or corrections agency and such information shall continue to provide a disability as otherwise provided by law.

L.1979, c. 178, s. 134, eff. Sept. 1, 1979. Amended by L.1981, c. 290, s. 45, eff. Sept. 24, 1981.

1. Sponsored Links