Default Health Insurance and Possible Child Support

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: New York

1.) My 22 year old daughter was still in college and needed Lasik surgery to continue her education for a police officer. The divorce agreement says my ex-wife is to carry the insurance and we are to divide any unreimbursed medical expenses. My ex says she does not owe any of the $3,400 I paid for the Lasik surgery. I say she does because she was still in school and the surgery was required for her to continue her education. Who is correct?

2.) The divorce agreement says that our younger daughter should split time between the two of us. My daughter did not like my rules and stopped staying with me about a year and a half ago. Can my ex-wife sure me for back child support or only from this point forward. My daughter was 18 at the time she moved out and into my ex-wife's house. Neither one of us pays child support at this time.

Default Re: Insurance and Possible Child Support

In NY child support goes to age 21.
    Quote Quoting Paul S
    View Post

1.) My 22 year old daughter was still in college and needed Lasik surgery to continue her education for a police officer. The divorce agreement says my ex-wife is to carry the insurance and we are to divide any unreimbursed medical expenses. My ex says she does not owe any of the $3,400 I paid for the Lasik surgery. I say she does because she was still in school and the surgery was required for her to continue her education. Who is correct?

2.) The divorce agreement says that our younger daughter should split time between the two of us. My daughter did not like my rules and stopped staying with me about a year and a half ago. Can my ex-wife sure me for back child support or only from this point forward. My daughter was 18 at the time she moved out and into my ex-wife's house. Neither one of us pays child support at this time.
    Yes, she could ask for child support and get it, but it would only last until your child reaches age 21. Unless your divorce agreement states that medical or child support goes past age 21, you cannot ask for reimbursement for medical expenses and she can't ask for child support past age 21.

Default Re: Insurance and Possible Child Support

Quote Quoting Paul S
    View Post

1.)....needed Lasik surgery to continue her education for a police officer....the surgery was required for her to continue her education....
    Exactly what police academy is this? "Needed"? "Required"?

I'd say the 22yr old probably "needed" Lasic to be able to wear cool cop sunglasses.

I can just imagine someone saying to me that I "needed" an elective procedure to fit educational/employment 'requirements'. That would leave the door wide open to 'require' gastric bypass for those who barely squeeze behind the wheel of a patrol car mid-career.

{No offense Carl}

BTW, 99.999999997% of insurances do not cover Lasic.

1. Sponsored Links