Default B-2 (Tourism) vs. K-1 (FiancÚ)

I want my girlfriend from another country to visit me. However I hear the B-2 visa is impossible to obtain especially if the applicant isn't employed or have a large enough savings. A friend suggested why not try bringing my girlfriend over on a K-1 fiancÚ visa. Is it true that the odds are much easier that way? No harm or unfavorable consequences even if we actually have no attention at all to marry or at least not within that 90-day window? I do satisfy all the eligibility criteria for K-1 since I'm a US-born citizen, I spent time with my girlfriend before in her country, and we have plenty of pics to prove it.

Default Re: B-2 (Tourism) vs. K-1 (FiancÚ)

What is your girlfriend's country of residence/citizenship? How long does she intend to visit?

Quote Quoting BigPete
    View Post
    A friend suggested why not try bringing my girlfriend over on a K-1 fiancÚ visa. . . . No harm or unfavorable consequences even if we actually have no attention at all to marry or at least not within that 90-day window?
    No harm? If you had no intention to marry within the 90 day window, how could you possibly sign a petition for a K-1 visa without committing perjury? The fact that you're referring to her as your girlfriend tells me that the answer to that question is that you could not. And, by the way, your post on this board would be great evidence against you if you were prosecuted.

Quote Quoting BigPete
    View Post
    I want my girlfriend from another country to visit me. However I hear the B-2 visa is impossible to obtain especially if the applicant isn't employed or have a large enough savings. A friend suggested why not try bringing my girlfriend over on a K-1 fiancÚ visa. Is it true that the odds are much easier that way? No harm or unfavorable consequences even if we actually have no attention at all to marry or at least not within that 90-day window? I do satisfy all the eligibility criteria for K-1 since I'm a US-born citizen, I spent time with my girlfriend before in her country, and we have plenty of pics to prove it.
    If she enters on a K1 visa she will have to leave in 90 days if you don't get married and reentry could be a problem. Why don't you simply have her enter on a regular tourist visa where she can stay for 6 months...and be able to reenter?

Yep, if they find either one of you lied as to your intent, she could be facing an extended bar to reentry or worse.

1. Sponsored Links