Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Custody of Autistic Kid

Holy cow

it went to trial?

that strongly suggests the state believed the claim and they felt there was enough evidence to take it to trial

a case being dismissed during trial is unusual. Was she actually found not guilty instead?

and from what you’ve said, a restraining order isn’t likely if the father wishes to have those people around. You might be able to get a court to limit the type of speech your child is subjected to but as I said before; very diffficult to enforce.

Your statement about the court chastising the person who made the initial statements about the rape;

i cant imagine when or why a court would ever do this. A person makes a report of a suspected crime. Anything after that is up to the state to continue. The reporter has no say so in the matter. It would also be unusual for the person to be in the courtroom other than when called to testify (which means she. Probably wouldn’t be in the court when the motion to dismiss was made) . Courts prefer various witnesses not be allowed to observe other witnesses testimony

but even if she was, the court speaking directly to her would be so unusual it’s difficult to believe. The judge knows all the person is was a reporter. If the court wanted to chastise anybody, typically it would be the prosecutor

you might also want to refrain from using the term hag. It won’t serve you well.

Sorry, I am unsure as to whether he was found "not guilty" or if the case was dismissed after the other parents protested that she (Hag) was lying and medical examinations revealed that none of the children had ever been raped.

I am not a lawyer so may not be using the right terminology as to whether the case was dismissed or he was found not guilty. What I do know is that this boy - who supposedly gave a very detailed and extensive report of rapes over a 2 year period - could supposedly not even answer the simple question of "what is your name ?" via RPM when the judge asked him this question (and another person, not Hag, was the Facilitator).

What I was told is that she was chastised because it became apparent that she made the report in bad faith. Again, I am merely repeating what I heard (as I was not a party to this case).

This is not the first false sexual assault case brought against people by proponents of "Facilitated Communication". Here is the other thing - my son has had NO academic exposure (he is unfortunately intellectually delayed) and the Hag supposedly got him to answer questions on oceanography and the solar system when she used RPM with him. Do you see now why I want a restraining order against that woman and STBX SIL ?

I have no intention of referring to her as a Hag during my own divorce proceedings. As a mother, I cannot forgive her, my SIL and STBX. But I will be utterly professional in my pleading to the Courts.

It would be highly unusual for the state to take a case to trial where there wasn’t some independent support that the criminal act took place. Prosecutors offices have budgets to work within so trying a case they know they will lose makes no sense. It is also unethical and possibly illegal as well so it just doesn’t happen very often.

I understand your view on RPM but unless it is determined to be harmful to the child, it’s unlikely a court will address the issue. Claiming that a child answered questions about the oceans and space in itself is harmless to the child. It really does appear your concern is less about the child’s welfare and more about controlling the child’s father.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    It would be highly unusual for the state to take a case to trial where there wasn’t some independent support that the criminal act took place. Prosecutors offices have budgets to work within so trying a case they know they will lose makes no sense. It is also unethical and possibly illegal as well so it just doesn’t happen very often.

I understand your view on RPM but unless it is determined to be harmful to the child, it’s unlikely a court will address the issue. Claiming that a child answered questions about the oceans and space in itself is harmless to the child. It really does appear your concern is less about the child’s welfare and more about controlling the child’s father.
    Nope. She starts off by showing that the child has abilities to communicate and "hidden intelligence" and then rapidly builds it up to abuse allegations like she did with the PT. That is my concern because The Hag has done this before !

You apparently know nothing about FC but thankfully the courts do. You can believe whatever you about my "motivation" but it sure isn't kosher for my STBX to have his kids around people who openly badmouth me to our kids in front of him. I believe that's called "disrespect" and, yes, I don't want to be disparaged to my kids, so if that's being "controlling" then so be it !

And here's ASHA's statement on RPM :

https://www.asha.org/policy/ps2018-00351/

Note where they clearly state :

there is emerging scientific evidence that messages produced using RPM reflect the communication of the instructor and not of the person with disability

This may be why her fake claims against her son's PT didn't hold. She (not her son) was communicating complex messages about mass and multiple rapes. Hag. She really put a lot of nasty messages in that boy's mouth ! What's to stop her from putting words into my son's mouth ?

Quote Quoting Frugal
    View Post
    Nope. She starts off by showing that the child has abilities to communicate and "hidden intelligence" and then rapidly builds it up to abuse allegations like she did with the PT. That is my concern because The Hag has done this before !

You apparently know nothing about FC but thankfully the courts do. You can believe whatever you about my "motivation" but it sure isn't kosher for my STBX to have his kids around people who openly badmouth me to our kids in front of him. I believe that's called "disrespect" and, yes, I don't want to be disparaged to my kids, so if that's being "controlling" then so be it !

And here's ASHA's statement on RPM :

https://www.asha.org/policy/ps2018-00351/

Note where they clearly state :

there is emerging scientific evidence that messages produced using RPM reflect the communication of the instructor and not of the person with disability

This may be why her fake claims against her son's PT didn't hold. She (not her son) was communicating complex messages about mass and multiple rapes. Hag. She really put a lot of nasty messages in that boy's mouth ! What's to stop her from putting words into my son's mouth ?
    did ya miss the part where I said you may be able to address disparaging remarks about you in front of your child? Apparently so.

Regardless what you have said about RPM, you have failed to show anything that even suggests it is harmful to the child. Because of that, a court isn’t likely to care about it.

It appears your concern about RPM has nothing to do with the child but your fear of accusations against you. I hate to tell you this but an accuser doesn’t need some apparent false source of info to accuse you. In fact, it would almost be better if the accusation were based on the RPM given your claim it is so easily shown to be a known source of false information.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    did ya miss the part where I said you may be able to address disparaging remarks about you in front of your child? Apparently so.

Regardless what you have said about RPM, you have failed to show anything that even suggests it is harmful to the child. Because of that, a court isn’t likely to care about it.

It appears your concern about RPM has nothing to do with the child but your fear of accusations against you. I hate to tell you this but an accuser doesn’t need some apparent false source of info to accuse you. In fact, it would almost be better if the accusation were based on the RPM given your claim it is so easily shown to be a known source of false information.
    Interesting.

Please reread the entire article when ASHA states that RPM is harmful to the child :

the potential harms associated with using RPM include prompt dependency; lost time and money that cannot be retrieved; reduced opportunities for access to timely, effective, and appropriate interventions; and potential loss of individual communication rights;

And

Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) are autonomous professionals who are responsible for critically evaluating all treatment techniques in order to hold paramount the welfare of persons served in accordance with the ASHA Code of Ethics (ASHA, 2016). SLPs should be mindful of their own legal and ethical responsibilities and risks; they are obliged to "provide services or dispense products only when benefit can reasonably be expected" and not do harm (ASHA, 2016).

Here's an article on FC from PubMed:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9793725/

So it's not just "my claim" that RPM is capable of harm, it's what the authors of published studies and ASHA state !

No, she can't come up with allegations because we (son and I) have no contact with her. But if she has access to my son through my STBX (that you claim I am trying to "control") then yes she can put words in my son's mouth. I don't know if ANY wife would put up with that disrespect or be labelled "controlling" for calling out her husband on his disrespectful behavior or wanting to not be disparaged in front of her own children by Hags.

Maybe I should push for sole legal and physical custody and he has supervised visitation. Yes, ma'am, I sure am "controlling".

the potential harms associated with using RPM include prompt dependency; lost time and money that cannot be retrieved; reduced opportunities for access to timely, effective, and appropriate interventions; and potential loss of individual communication rights;

none of that is applicable to your child and the situation but even more rediculous is the suggestion that wasted money is injurious to the child. Not only is that incorrect, it isn’t your money... or is there even any money spent on this?

you still have the ability to seek whatever treatment you wish for the child so a delay in treatment would be your fault and not because the child may be recieving the dubious RPM treatments.

Maybe I should push for sole legal and physical custody and he has supervised visitation. Yes, ma'am, I sure am "controlling"

maybe you should hire an attorney to do your talking. Based on your statements here, you will hurt your own case more than you’ll ever help it.

If you were not in court yourself. You have no way of knowing exactly what did and did not happen. Media reports are not totally accurate.

Frugal, I do not think that this forum is the right place for you.

You are getting very opinionated responses from just one poster and that poster is not an attorney or a therapist so while I believe that poster's intentions are good, I do not believe that the poster is approaching this from an educated standpoint, not even as an educated layperson.

You need to be consulting with an attorney and those in the psychology and special education fields who are familiar with RPM and how it can be used and/or abused.

However, you also need to understand that people who are divorcing tend to hate each other and tend to read all kinds of negative emotions into what the other is doing. Unfortunately those parent's extended family often get overly invested emotionally in the situation and give really bad advice and/or make really bad choices. So, sometimes its necessary to let emotions calm down a little before people get reasonable.

I certainly wouldn't want the people you have described anywhere near a child of mine, let alone an autistic one. However if you approach this with your soon to be ex with not only information regarding the background of the people in question, but also info from other professionals, you may bet better responses from him than you might think.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Frugal, I do not think that this forum is the right place for you.

You are getting very opinionated responses from just one poster and that poster is not an attorney or a therapist so while I believe that poster's intentions are good, I do not believe that the poster is approaching this from an educated standpoint, not even as an educated layperson.

You need to be consulting with an attorney and those in the psychology and special education fields who are familiar with RPM and how it can be used and/or abused.

However, you also need to understand that people who are divorcing tend to hate each other and tend to read all kinds of negative emotions into what the other is doing. Unfortunately those parent's extended family often get overly invested emotionally in the situation and give really bad advice and/or make really bad choices. So, sometimes its necessary to let emotions calm down a little before people get reasonable.

I certainly wouldn't want the people you have described anywhere near a child of mine, let alone an autistic one. However if you approach this with your soon to be ex with not only information regarding the background of the people in question, but also info from other professionals, you may bet better responses from him than you might think.
    of course op needs an attorney but suggesting my statements are incorrect is going a bit far. Apparently you have an emotional attachment to the issue and are falling for the ops blathering about it rather than seeing that ops issue isn’t really about harm to the child but her fear she might be accused of something she hasn’t done.

Op is attempting to limit the fathers free association with family. Courts are very hesitant to attempt to limit a person’s rights when dealing with child custody without good evidence it is harmful to the child. Nothing op has posted shows the possibility of harm to the child. Her short excerpt speaks to matters where a child may not recieve accepted as normal treatment if they are subjected to RPM treatment. That is based on a single household situation where money is spent on one treatment over another. Op is free to seek whatever treatment her child needs regardless what the father may be doing. If op fails to do so, it’s on her

i have seen situations where drugs or guns and some pretty bad people were involved. The courts involved wouldn’t limit the associations with the parents in those cases as it could not be shown there is a valid concern of harm to the child.

Op is arguing based on her dislike for the husbands family. That is very likely to be seen as nothing more than a personal emotional issue and not as a valid fear the child is in danger. A court is surely not going to issue a restraining order based on what’s been presented here and is highly unlikely to include limitations in any parenting plan limiting the father’s association with the people op is concerned with when he has the child.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast