Default Is an Insurance Company Required to Contact a Beneficiary Upon Death of Policy Holder

My question involves insurance law for the state of: California. A friend advised me several years ago that upon his death, I would be the beneficiary of a small life insurance policy he purchased. He asked for my Social Security number, birth-date and correct spelling of my last name for the policy. However, he never provided me any other information about the policy. He is in a hospital, near death and I am reluctant to ask him about the policy. Is the company required/legally obligated to contact the beneficiary assuming the contact information, provided at the time the policy was purchased, is still the same or must a beneficiary file a claim with a life insurance company to obtain the insurance benefit.

Default Re: Is an Insurance Comp Required to Contact a Beneficiary Upon Death of Policy Holde

The insurance company will contact you if the insurance company is notified of his death and has the contact information for you. Don't assume that someone will notify the insurance company or that the information it has for you is accurate. You need to find out the name of the insurance company and any other details of the policy and make sure the insurance company has the information it needs to pay the claim. If you don't, likely no one else will since you are the only one who will benefit.

Default Re: Is an Insurance Company Required to Contact a Beneficiary Upon Death of Policy Ho

Do you know if it was a personal/individual policy or a work-related one? Do you know if he continued to pay premiums over the time period?

Definitely look into it, but you will need more info...hopefully his estate will help you out if you dont' know the name of the insurance company (or possibly employer)

Default Re: Is an Insurance Company Required to Contact a Beneficiary Upon Death of Policy Ho

Ideally yes, the insurance carrier should notify the beneficiary of a policy when the policyholder dies - assuming that they know how to contact the beneficiary.

I don't know how many times we've tried to reach the beneficiary of one of our employee's or retiree's life insurance upon their passing, and discovered that the beneficiary had moved and not notified us, or had passed previously, or for some other reason we had no way of contacting them.

Quote Quoting chipinla
    View Post
    is still the same or must a beneficiary file a claim with a life insurance company to obtain the insurance benefit.
    The simple answer is yes, it's up to the beneficiary to locate the policy and make the claim. The insurance company has no obligation (legal or otherwise) to hunt down beneficiaries on every policy its ever written. In fact, if a claim is not made within a certain amount of time the money gets turned over to the state.

Quote Quoting chipinla
    View Post
    He is in a hospital, near death and I am reluctant to ask him about the policy.
    If you don't, you may never see the money.

There are ways to look up somebody's life insurance when one can't find the policy but those methods are iffy.

https://www.naic.org/documents/consu...ce_benefit.htm

https://www.mib.com/lost_life_insurance.html

Thank you for all of the information and advice. Much appreciated...

1. Sponsored Links