Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What to Do if Your Neighbor's Dogs are Trespassing on Your Land

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Texas We are having a problem with the neighbor's dogs (minimum of 6) constantly coming onto our property every day and multiple times a day - peeing and defecating in both our front and back yards, plus coming onto our property when we are outside and constantly barking at us. They have gotten into our garage twice and torn up garbage bags and anyone who drives up to our house is afraid to even get out of their vehicle due to the dogs running over and barking at them.

We have asked the neighbor to make an effort to keep the dogs on their own property but they say their dogs can run loose because this is "country" and they own 10 acres or more.

I looked up the county ordinance under Restraint and it states "Dogs may be unrestrained for landowners when used for ranching, hunting, farming or guarding on parcels larger than 10 acres and with the permission of the landowner". But wouldn't that clause mean that the dogs can be unrestrained on their own property but can not run loose on other people's property? Don't I have any rights myself as a landowner?

The problem is, even though they own some acres, they built their house right on the edge of their property next to ours and their house is about as close as in a subdivision. And most of their land is fenced pasture so the dogs really have no more than an acre at most to run loose on, which includes the county road. So every day, several times a day, the dogs are on our property.

The county ordinance also states that "All dogs and cats shall be kept under restraint in accordance with the applicable provisions of the Texas Health and Safety Code" and "The owner or custodian of every dog and cat shall be held responsible for any violation of these rules or applicable provisions of Chapters 822 and 826 of the Texas Health & Safety Code". Under Code 826.002 (11) it defines "stray" as meaning "roaming with no physical restraint beyond the premises of an animal's owner or keeper" and in 826.033 (2) "each stray dog or cat be declared a public nuisance".

I would appreciate any opinions as to what my rights are in this situation.

Default Re: Neighbor Dogs Trespassing

You obviously won't get anywhere by talking or quoting laws to those people.

Catch the dogs and call animal control.

Or, fence off your own property.

Or, file a private nuisance lawsuit (after documenting the intrusion) and seek an injunction.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    You obviously won't get anywhere by talking or quoting laws to those people.

Catch the dogs and call animal control.

Or, fence off your own property.

Or, file a private nuisance lawsuit (after documenting the intrusion) and seek an injunction.
    I would just fence my property.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I would just fence my property.
    It's the "country"? Electricity would be an option. Check first though, or get a pro specializing in critter control fencing. I would place a large bet on the puddies only needing to get one sample of the 'enhanced' fence.

In the interim, there's always "No Trespassing" signs!
    Growing old, mandatory. Growing up, optional!

Only dogs can't read the signs. Apparently, if they are using your yard for a poop ground, and running up to cars pulling into your drive barking, etc. they are under the impression that your yard and drive are part of their established territory. Thus a fence, specifically between your house and the neighbor's house would be a good deterrent for starters. Then there's the old country remedy of "Get on outta heyah!" which around here might very possibly be followed by a few stinging beads from your bb gun each time you see the dogs in your yard. (Yes I know, if you hurt the dogs, you might have to pay vet bills. But then, I don't mean shoot them with a big gun.) Of course keep your garbage very well put away, and when they do get into it, come on your space, make a big enough fuss that the dogs will think it is a very bad idea to get in your garage or driveway. Bang trash can lids, yell at them, make a lot of noise. Six or more dogs is a pack, you can keep calling the animal control people if this many dogs keep invading your space. Say you fear for your safety. It's not so much fun for neighbors to quote the laws to deputies if they have to do it repeatedly because of your complaints. Good heavens! We've had people killed by neighbors' dogs in this area.

Quote Quoting comment/ator
    View Post
    Only dogs can't read the signs.
    That just ruint my day......sniff!
    Growing old, mandatory. Growing up, optional!

Technically, dogs can't trespass, only people can.

And unless the dog is known to be dangerous or a hazard to livestock, or is unregistered, there's no state law on them being "at large."

Default Re: What to Do if Your Neighbor's Dogs are Trespassing on Your Land

I don't thinking shooting the dogs with a bb gun is good advise. And I don't think you have reached the point where you need to spend the money on suing the neighbor for nuisance or the expense of fencing your property. There are inexpensive things you can do to dissuade the dogs to keep off your property.

There are products you can buy that you spread on your property (in areas they frequent) that will cause the dogs discomfort when they sniff before defecating or urinating. Products that contain capsaicin will burn their nasal canal and eyes without harming the animal. You can even use a mixture of ground red and black pepper for it. But it has to be dry weather.

After they get a few snoot full of pepper and they won't come back. Another old remedy is white vinegar (cheap) sprayed in the areas they come to. The down side of this is your property smells like a salad.

Injuring or killing the dogs would make you guilty of a crime. As mentioned, unless you or your livestock are threatened by dogs, you don't get a defense.

If you are responding to my post, what part of it do you think indicates that the dog would be harmed?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast