Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: What to Do if Your Neighbor's Dogs are Trespassing on Your Land

An Electric fence (single wire at knee height) should take care of the dogs. Make sure you install small flags by the wire and signs warning people of the fence. After the dogs get zapped a time or two I suspect they won’t head your direction any longer.

Since the dogs appear aggressive to you I suspect you may be able to just shoot them during the time they are aggressive and on your property. i strongly suggest talking with a local lawyer about the legality of it first.

and what county is this?

It does appear that under texas law the dogs may be able to be classified as dangerous dogs

2) "Dangerous dog" means a dog that:
    (A) makes an unprovoked attack on a person that causes bodily injury and occurs in a place other than an enclosure in which the dog was being kept and that was reasonably certain to prevent the dog from leaving the enclosure on its own; or
    (B) commits unprovoked acts in a place other than an enclosure in which the dog was being kept and that was reasonably certain to prevent the dog from leaving the enclosure on its own and those acts cause a person to reasonably believe that the dog will attack and cause bodily injury to that person.

And if you are successful in havimg the dog listed listed as a dangerous dog, they are obligated by state law to restrain it

822.042. Requirements for Owner of Dangerous Dog
    (a) Not later than the 30th day after a person learns that the person is the owner of a dangerous dog, the person shall:
    (1) register the dangerous dog with the animal control authority for the area in which the dog is kept;
    (2) restrain the dangerous dog at all times on a leash in the immediate control of a person or in a secure enclosure;
    (3) obtain liability insurance coverage or show financial responsibility in an amount of at least $100,000 to cover damages resulting from an attack by the dangerous dog causing bodily injury to a person and provide proof of the required liability insurance coverage or financial responsibility to the animal control authority for the area in which the dog is kept; and
    (4) comply with an applicable municipal or county regulation, requirement, or restriction on dangerous dogs.
    (b) The owner of a dangerous dog who does not comply with Subsection (a) shall deliver the dog to the animal control authority not later than the 30th day after the owner learns that the dog is a dangerous dog.
    (c) If, on application of any person, a justice court, county court, or municipal court finds, after notice and hearing as provided by Section 822.0423, that the owner of a dangerous dog has failed to comply with Subsection (a) or (b), the court shall order the animal control authority to seize the dog and shall issue a warrant authorizing the seizure. The authority shall seize the dog or order its seizure and shall provide for the impoundment of the dog in secure and humane conditions.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    An Electric fence (single wire at knee height) should take care of the dogs. Make sure you install small flags by the wire and signs warning people of the fence. After the dogs get zapped a time or two I suspect they won’t head your direction any longer.
    Is that seriously what you would do when you are spending your money? What if OP doesn't want a knee height fence around his property and doesn't want to spend a few K to have it put in?

Sometimes some of you are off the charts with your advise.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Is that seriously what you would do when you are spending your money? What if OP doesn't want a knee height fence around his property and doesn't want to spend a few K to have it put in?

Sometimes some of you are off the charts with your advise.
    a few k? I can put in a mile of wire for well under a grand.

but yes, I would seriously consider it.

the fact is, they don’t want the dogs on their property. It is a solution. So far it sounds like the best solution. Definitely better than purchasing and maintaining some animals with the hope the dogs will attack them.

You do do realize I posted Texas law that allows the op to explore another possibility too, right?

Or is it simply your intent to constantly attack me for no reason?

So lets take a look at your advice:

There are products you can buy that you spread on your property (in areas they frequent) that will cause the dogs discomfort when they sniff before defecating or urinating. Products that contain capsaicin will burn their nasal canal and eyes without harming the animal. You can even use a mixture of ground red and black pepper for it. But it has to be dry weather.

After they get a few snoot full of pepper and they won't come back. Another old remedy is white vinegar (cheap) sprayed in the areas they come to. The down side of this is your property smells like a salad.

so you suggest killing their grass with vinegar. I wonder how much it would cost to regularly spray their entire lawn. Of course this is accepting it will work. It doesn’t always.

or the capsaicin. You talk like one application will work forever but you ignore the fact it doesn’t work well (I can personally attest to that) It often doesnt work plus how much does it cost to cover the ops lawn often enough to work long term?

oh, that’s right, you suggested they spray where the dogs crap.. what prevents the dogs from using another area?

and do you think either of those will stop the threatening behavior towards the op or their guests or keep them out of the Garbage?

If you’re going to attempt to ridicule me, you need to be sure your suggestions are better than mine. I don’t believe they are.

I would strongly suggest that no matter what else this person does, he does talk to the local officials about the dogs. As I pointed out, he did talk to the neighbor, and got Texas law quoted to him, which means they probably know the rest of it, about how a dangerous dog, not to mention six of them, would be a problem for the owner, not the person who does something to get rid of them. Not because the local law going to come out and do something, but simply to get a record of his having discussed the problem with them, establish that the dogs are a problem. I am not sure the electric fence would solve all the problems, but it's cheap and better than spraying the whole yard with something that will wash off in the first rain.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3