Default What are a Father's Rights at a Hospital When the Baby is Born

My question involves paternity law for the State of: uk

me and my boyfriend are getting ready to meet our baby girl any day now but i was reading up on the hospital stay and what not and i was wondering can my boyfriend sign consent forms for our baby in the hospital even if we are not married now i know once we fill out the birth certificate we both our names on it he will have pr but i was wondering about after delivery in the hospital plus he is down as the father on all the paper work and so on so they know he is the dad but i was wondering about law and what not

ps
    talking about forms like consent forms for treatment for our baby as what if he needs to sign something for our baby and i am not there or unable to sign

thanks

Default Re: Just Wondering Really About Fathers and Hospital Durring Baby's Birth

This site is for US law. We wouldn't know about the UK.

Default Re: Just Wondering Really About Fathers and Hospital Durring Baby's Birth

oh sorry did i put uk lol i meant NY i was rushing lol

In any future posts, please make an effort to use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation. Doing so will make it easier for others to read and understand what you write.

Quote Quoting clary
    View Post
    oh sorry did i put uk lol i meant NY i was rushing lol
    ???

Quote Quoting clary
    View Post
    can my boyfriend sign consent forms for our baby in the hospital even if we are not married
    I assume that what you meant to ask was whether the hospital would accept a consent form signed by a person who is not the mother's husband and whose paternity has not otherwise been established. You'd have to ask someone at the hospital about this, but it's likely that you would sign any consent forms relating to actual or proposed treatment for the child.

i mean can my boyfriend(baby's father) sign consent forms for treatment for our baby

what if he needs to sign something for our baby and i am not there or unable to sign

plus how can legally fill out the birth certifitcert like fill out the information can my boyfriend do that or does it have to be me

Again: In any future posts, please make an effort to use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation. Doing so will make it easier for others to read and understand what you write.

Quote Quoting clary
    View Post
    i mean can my boyfriend(baby's father) sign consent forms for treatment for our baby
    If he has the ability to write, then the answer to this question is yes.

Quote Quoting clary
    View Post
    what if he needs to sign something for our baby and i am not there or unable to sign
    As I wrote previously, ask someone at the hospital. My guess, however, is that you'll sign all necessary consent forms at the time you are admitted.

Quote Quoting clary
    View Post
    plus how can legally fill out the birth certifitcert like fill out the information can my boyfriend do that or does it have to be me
    Birth certificates are prepared by a clerk employed by the bureau of vital statistics (or whatever exactly it's called in New York). Neither you nor your boyfriend will "fill out the birth certificate." If you want to know the specific procedure by which the hospital collects information that goes on the birth certificate, ask someone at the hospital. Chances are that the only thing either of you will have to "fill out" or sign will be a form by which you both acknowledge his paternity.

1. Sponsored Links