Default Expunged Petty Theft Misdemeanor Working at School District

My question involves criminal records for the state of: CA years ago going to 9 I was convicted of petty theft misdemeanor...I terminated probation early and expunged in 2013..

I am looking to apply at school district as a teachers assistant and I met all requirements. Final interview was a week ago all went well.They said they were checking references.A friend that I put as ref notifies they called her right away. I.have been truthfully honest since beginning of my past mistake it was during a hard time in my life I was in tremendous pain and acted impulsively was not even interested in items i took.Since I am.a finalist/qualified candidate and my conviction was a long time ago, nonviolent, and expunged do.I.have a chance? Its.been a week and im feeling a bit discouraged, they did not.give me a set deadline when I would get offer. I did great during interview and everything went well. Any words of encouragement are appreciated.I also have granted exemption from Nov 2016 expires Nov 2019 from a daycare I applied to. I sent in proof of my rehabilitation expungement and 3 months later I was approved to work at daycares senior centers and schools they.mentioned.

Default Re: Expunged Petty Theft Misdemeanor Working at School District

Nobody can tell you for sure, but California is very "convict" friendly. Even if it wasn't expunged, in most cases it wouldn't hurt against you. The problem is that this is a GOVERNMENT job and one in a sensitive area, so they might find out about it. You are entitled in California NOT to voluntarily disclose it when applying for jobs.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    You are entitled in California NOT to voluntarily disclose it when applying for jobs.
    NOT when you applying for a government job or government licensing. "Expunged" in CA does not mean erase for all time or for all purposes. The conviction and the record of conviction still exists. It is just a private employer that can't ask about it or consider it. When it's the government, you fail to disclose at your peril.

I was honest since beginning since its.a government job. Plus.im highly qualified.for.position and a long time has passed I have taken all necessary actions to.mend my mistake. I definitely deserve a chance!

Quote Quoting LegalWriter
    View Post
    NOT when you applying for a government job or government licensing. "Expunged" in CA does not mean erase for all time or for all purposes. The conviction and the record of conviction still exists. It is just a private employer that can't ask about it or consider it. When it's the government, you fail to disclose at your peril.
    I didn't say that the government employer absolutely couldn't see the application (in fact, the rest of my post other than the snippet you took out of contex said exactly that).

There however is NOTHING INCORRECT about the part that I quoted. California law doesn't exempt the state or local employers from the law against asking about convictions. They can use the information on such from background checks in the case of positions which BY LAW require a background check, but that doesn't change the obligation to report on the application.

1. Sponsored Links