Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can You Install a Barbed Wire Fence in a Residential Lot

Alabama, my neighbor has erected a barbed wire fence along my residential yard, the barbs are at shoulder/neck hieght. Mowing along this fence has been very dangerous and caused injury... his lot goes along 3 yards all lined with barbs. Is there something i can do to have the barbs removed? Also he has no trespassing signs on the fence facing my yard. If anyone tresspassed theyd have to first trespass my yard so this guys sign is for me only
    There is no fence across the front and no signage otherwise. Only facing my yard

Default Re: Barbed Wire Fence in a Residential Lot

Caused injury?

How much of an injury? Any medical bills? If not, get some. Then make a claim against him, in writing, for your bills and pain and suffering. Follow up with a lawsuit if you get no response. If he gets his homeowners insurance involved he will be in a world of hurt when his insurance company either makes him take the fence down or cancels his policy.

I don't think there is any doubt about negligence here. He knows damned well that a barbed wire fence is dangerous and not necessary in a residential area.

Also check your city and county ordinances to see if it's a violation.

Quote Quoting Jimbo142345
    View Post
    my neighbor has erected a barbed wire fence along my residential yard, the barbs are at shoulder/neck hieght. Mowing along this fence has been very dangerous and caused injury.
    Ummm...how? Mowing a lawn is not exactly a high-speed activity, and I can see no reason why someone mowing a lawn couldn't easily avoid the wire that you described (unless the person has some sort of physical handicap).

Quote Quoting Jimbo142345
    View Post
    Is there something i can do to have the barbs removed?
    Well... have you had a conversation with your neighbor about your concerns? You didn't mention one, so I have to assume you didn't. That is the rather obvious first thing you should do.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Ummm...how? Mowing a lawn is not exactly a high-speed activity, and I can see no reason why someone mowing a lawn couldn't easily avoid the wire that you described (unless the person has some sort of physical handicap).

Well... have you had a conversation with your neighbor about your concerns? You didn't mention one, so I have to assume you didn't. That is the rather obvious first thing you should do.
    I suspect that if someone is crazy/stupid enough to install barbed wire in a residential community that talking to them would be pointless.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    If your neighbor continually threw roofing nails on your driveway, your solution would be to just drive around them.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    If your neighbor continually threw roofing nails on your driveway, your solution would be to just drive around them.

No, but I wouldn't have problems with him throwing them in his own.

That said, there may be an ordinance against such a fence or the OP may live next to a guy who legally has livestock.

Also, the neighbor clearly thinks the OP has been trespassing.

Unless there is a clear hazard, or restrictions, your only LOGICAL choice is avoidance!

I'm curious.....why does your neighbor dislike you and yours? What y'all been doing to him? That's presumptive on my part. Is he batcrap crazy or somethin'?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I suspect that if someone is crazy/stupid enough to install barbed wire in a residential community that talking to them would be pointless.
    If one has a problem not cured by traditional fencing, one may resort to alternatives to assuage an ongoing difficulty, perceived or otherwise. Residential? I missed that in the OP's posts somehow. Any idea if the residential development is out of any city limit.

Alabama has got to have less zoning than where I live, small town Missouri. I'm within city limits and fencing is very lightly restricted, if at all. If I wanted to, I could do concrete a foot thick and 12' tall topped with concertina wire...perfectly legal. But minimal is better, so its traditional chain link for us.

However, it's become trendy lately to develop housing in 'country' areas. I'd be upset that the adjacent property to mine put up 20+ luxury homes on property that was farmed since the beginning of recorded history. Roots run deep in farm country. I can see a born and raised on that property resident getting terminal resentment.

I know, I know, sorta unique to speculate at both sides with a only the OP prespective. I got lots of free time though.

("assuage" is my big word of the day):

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    If that ain't apples to hand grenades, I'd be pressed to know what is.....

What gives you the idea that OP is in Alabama?

The fence is a spite fence and is not allowed in most states under common law. And local ordinances don't allow barbed wire fences except for security purposes.

I'll wait for OP to explain the rest of the story (what was done to piss-off the neighbor) and what state OP is in before commenting further.

Quote Quoting souperdave
    View Post
    If that ain't apples to hand grenades, I'd be pressed to know what is.....
    Really? I see it directly relating to this. The guy puts up hazardous barbed wire that can injure his neighbor. Pg1067 says the OP shouldn't have a problem with it when he gets injured...blaming the injury on incoordination.

Well, if pg1067 doesn't have a problem with "spite wire" he shouldn't have a problem with "spite roofing nails."

Apples to hand grenades...hardly!

ALABAMA was the first word. Brush up on your reading comprehension. And you assume that the OP has upset the applecart. That's mighty assumption on your part despite saying you'll wait for further....jus sayin!

I live on a cul-de-sac with a couple homes that have wire fence. One electric.

Rural areas have minimal restriction, if any, regarding fencing. HEY!, you can do the reading comp thing if you look into that.

The fence could have a foot or two setback. Mine does.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    Really? I see it directly relating to this. The guy puts up hazardous barbed wire that can injure his neighbor. Pg1067 says the OP shouldn't have a problem with it when he gets injured...blaming the injury on incoordination.

Well, if pg1067 doesn't have a problem with "spite wire" he shouldn't have a problem with "spite roofing nails."

Apples to hand grenades...hardly!
    The fence could have a foot or two setback. Mine does.

Barbed wire fence is only dangerous, hazardous, painful, only if you're a livestock. Or Stupid.

Could be hazardous to a fleeing felon in the dark. In other news, BARBS ARE SHARP. Brainfulness will keep you safe!

My apologies to the OP. Please share more.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    What gives you the idea that OP is in Alabama?
    Seriously? My clue was the first word.

One more thought: Roofing nails could be screwed into reckless endangerment, property damage, etc.

A fence keeps your stupid ass outta my things!

One runs into one, instant education. I did when I was like 5, 50+years later, I HAVEN'T SINCE!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast