Default Finding a Rental Home for an Elderly Tenant

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Texas

Hi friends, my family and I are looking into housing options for my elderly mother, she is insistent upon not doing anything that involves care homes or nurses or even housing that is specifically for the elderly. My solution I think is that she get a two bedroom apartment and we find someone who is trustworthy and who can be bound by the lease to do certain things for her like go to the store and empty certain trashes and what have you, she would have the power to decide which room she is to occupy and what the house rules are which the other tenant would follow, I think we should have the land lord required to take on another tenant as well, what do you guys think about this plan?

Default Re: Non Elder Elder Housing

I'm not sure what legal issue you'd like to have addressed. Can you clarify?

Quote Quoting UserAlan_MBLA_108
    View Post

Hi friends, my family and I are looking into housing options for my elderly mother, she is insistent upon not doing anything that involves care homes or nurses or even housing that is specifically for the elderly. My solution I think is that she get a two bedroom apartment and we find someone who is trustworthy and who can be bound by the lease to do certain things for her like go to the store and empty certain trashes and what have you, she would have the power to decide which room she is to occupy and what the house rules are which the other tenant would follow, I think we should have the land lord required to take on another tenant as well, what do you guys think about this plan?
    I think what you mean is that you want the landlord to stipulate in his lease with your mother, that she can bring in a roommate. Your mother would need to have a contract or sublease with the roommate that specifies what the roommate is to do for your mother.

View Post

I think it's a foolish idea that will only bring aggravation and cost to you and your mother. Go online and google roommate horror stories and you'll find out why.

How old is your mother?

What mental or medical problems does she have?

What are her current living arrangements?

Does she still drive?

How mobile is she without a car? Does she need help with day to day stuff like cleaning and cooking? Can she take meds without supervision? If you can find an apartment or senior housing near an urban area near stores and parks, can/will she get out by herself, shop a little, go the park, have a life? One advantage to senior housing with individual housing units is that people can live along (independently) and still meet other seniors and have a regular social life with their peers.

If she is reasonably mobile but does not have a car, it is useful to have someone with a car meet with her several times a week to take her shopping and to appointments. Routine access to libraries or senior centers or shopping malls is also useful.

View Post

who can be bound by the lease to do certain things for her like go to the store and empty certain trashes and what have you,
    That sounds like indentured servitude to me unless the value of the room is higher than the minimum wage for the hours the slave... I mean tenant is goting to have to work.

She will be 69 in October and has been in excellent health until the past two years when she developed significant problems with her back and she does not have any mental ones, she can drive but no longer has a vehicle and I don't know if she plans to get another...she is staying with us in my home for the moment but this is not optimal for her and she likes this idea of mine in any event so I'm trying to get some topical clarification about this, I don't want to do a sublease or a separate contract outside of the primary lease other than the roommate agreeing to follow the house rules as dictated by the primary tenant on a lease which they will share and she controls which bedroom she gets at any point.

PS: I had to laugh at the indentured servitude comment and I guess I invited it by using that title but this is not that bad (fortunately).

View Post
    she is staying with us in my home for the moment
    What were her living arrangement before that?

View Post
    I'm trying to get some topical clarification about this, I don't want to do a sublease or a separate contract outside of the primary lease other than the roommate agreeing to follow the house rules as dictated by the primary tenant on a lease which they will share and she controls which bedroom she gets at any point.
    The clarification is this. Bad, bad idea. Once the roommate moves in there is no piece of paper in the world that will guarantee the roommate's compliance with the rules. Once the problems start you will have a b-tch of a time getting the roommate out and your mother will be stuck paying for a two bedroom apartment.

I suggest you abandon the roommate idea. It's a recipe for disaster. Hell, if it was me I wouldn't want a stranger living in my house with me. I'm 72 and the idea gives me the heebie jeebies.

By the way, no landlord in his right mind would get involved in this other than to have both parties sign the lease jointly and not care what arrangement they made between them.

An alternative would be to find her a one bedroom apartment near you so you can help out. And if she can't get around because of her back, well, there are plenty of stores that can deliver groceries and whatever, as well as things that can be ordered on line for delivery. She can also hire bonded cleaning companies to come in and clean for her. There are so many ways of handling this, without a roommate, so that she is still independent.

For the longest time she stayed with a friend but this friend of hers ran off with a male companion and that was that...but thanks for all the information and prompt responses which were definitely worth reading.

View Post
    For the longest time she stayed with a friend but this friend of hers ran off with a male companion and that was that...but thanks for all the information and prompt responses which were definitely worth reading.

Why specifically do you feel that your mother cannot live independently?...in other words, on her own by herself?

1. Sponsored Links