Default Parking in a Crosswalk (Vc22500b) at a Location with No Sidewalk

My question involves a parking ticket from the state of California.

The car was parked at a T-shape intersection on the side of the road with bushes, no sidewalk (gray celica after the stop sign)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/culu8a3fwd...th_St.png?dl=0

This location doesn’t seem to fit the definition of a crosswalk as per California Code, Vehicle Code - VEH 275.

Can there be a crosswalk if there is no sidewalk? Is this a valid violation?

Thanks.

Default Re: Parking in a Crosswalk (Vc22500b) at a Location with No Sidewalk

That's the crosswalk. There's an unmarked crosswalk when the extension of the sidewalk crosses over the road. The street coming in from the right appears to have a sidewalk, so that one that gets extended to form a crosswalk even if there is no sidewalk on the other side.

Yes, there's an implied crosswalk just after the limit (stop) line. Besides, you're in the intersection, and there appears to be a no parking sign just next to the car too.

Quote Quoting fmu
    View Post
    Is this a valid violation?
    It sure is.

First impressions would lead one to believe that the "prolongation" of the sidewalk on the right would continue across the road (to nowhere as far as I can see) and constitute a crosswalk. This is not true in this case. Vehicle Code 275 reads in pertinent part:

"That portion of a roadway included within the prolongation or connection of the boundary lines of sidewalks at intersections where the intersecting roadways meet at approximately right angles, except the prolongation of such lines from an alley across a street."

This section uses the term "sidewalks", plural. The location in question does not connect with another sidewalk therefore cannot be considered a crosswalk. However, it does appear from the photo that there is some kind of No Parking sign, which could be grounds for the citation.
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

I'm going to have to disagree there. The plurality isn't there to require multiple sidewalks but to permit it.

Btw the No Parking sign is for street cleaning. It applies to the whole street from 12pm to 2pm on Wednesdays. The ticket is definitely for Parking in a crosswalk. Also I have never see a sign specifically for not parking at a crosswalk, a sign would make it easier to remove any ambiguity.

There needs be no sign prohibiting parking in a crosswalk. It is codified (although I’m too lazy to look it up)

well, I couldn’t just leave ya hanging

22500. No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle
    whether attended or unattended, except when necessary to avoid
    conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a
    peace officer or official traffic control device, in any of the
    following places:
    (a) Within an intersection, except adjacent to curbs as may be
    permitted by local ordinance.
    (b) On a crosswalk, except that a bus engaged as a common carrier
    or a taxicab may stop in an unmarked crosswalk to load or unload
    passengers when authorized by the legislative body of any city
    pursuant to an ordinance.