Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Can I Refuse for My Co-Parent's Girlfriend to Be Able to Pick Our Son Up from School

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Florida

First, my problem is not with the fact he has a girlfriend, it is the fact that her and I do not communicate. She does not have my number anymore (to my knowledge), and I have never had her number. We have never met in person and my son has said some questionable things about how she treats him. The father and I do not have specific language within our Final Order regarding partners. We have some language of third parties but that is to identify the grandparents. In any event, the girlfriend is not morally fit to be around our son, in my opinion. However, that is his decision during the time he spends with our son.

The father and I have been in and out of court for three years. We recently just came to an agreement within depositions using our lawyers. Communication was a big part of our issue but with that, he has put his girlfriend on the list (without telling me), and never discussed it either. Is there anything I can do to prevent her from dropping and picking him from school?

Thank you,

B

Default Re: Can I Refuse for My Co-Parent's Girlfriend to Be Able to Pick Our Son Up from Sch

Not unless you want to go back to court.

Default Re: Can I Refuse for My Co-Parent's Girlfriend to Be Able to Pick Our Son Up from Sch

Have you talked to your son about the questionable way she treats him ? Have you discussed it with dad ? If you are concerned for his safety. Why haven't you looked into it ?

How old is your son ?

Quote Quoting Thepitts
    View Post
    Is there anything I can do to prevent her from dropping and picking him from school?
    Do you have joint legal custody? Is there anything in your existing custody order that gives you the sole right to dictate who can and can't pick up your kid (I can't conceive how you could prevent her from dropping off the kid)? If the answer to both questions is no, then the answer to your question is no, unless you seek an order from the court. Keep in mind that since, as you acknowledged, it's up to the father to decide who spends time with the kid when the kid is in dad's custody, you'll have a very difficult time convincing the court that she shouldn't be permitted to pick up and drop off the kid from/at school. If she's making breakfast for or eating breakfast with the kid, why can't she drive him to school? Do you think that the child will somehow be more susceptible to this woman of unfit morals during the commute to/from school than at other times?

Given that you have never met her, on what do you base her moral unfitness?

How much influence can she really have on a 15 minute, maybe, car ride? Just be thankful your child is getting to and from school. As nice as it may be to have an open channel of communication with everyone in your child's life, she is not obligated to communicate with you.

Does someone else other than yourself ever provide transportation for the child? Do you want to have the same restrictions that you want applied to dad? Be careful of what you wish for as you may regret it.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Have you talked to your son about the questionable way she treats him ? Have you discussed it with dad ? If you are concerned for his safety. Why haven't you looked into it ?

How old is your son ?
    Thank you for your response, I have spoken to my son but he is 3. So, items that are questioned are also questioned in regards to what is true and what is not. I have discussed it with his father and I am only met with hostility. I have looked into it but I do not have evidence and only a three old telling me things.

We have it stated that him or I can or the biological grandparents, that is it. So, the decision to allow her was a sole decision on his part.

When she is making the commute with our son, the father is usually at work (where he cannot be reached for 24hrs during his shifts). If there was an accident, an emergency or anything of that nature, I would think then yes, she would need to be obligated to communicate with me in situations like that and at this time, we do not speak. Which when I did bring this up to the father as a concern when she initially did it, I was brushed off and said that would never happen.

She was married when they met and started dating. Her husband at the time was in rehab for pills/drug abuse. She left him during that for my ex and it came out a little down the rode that she was the one providing the drugs (nurse at hospital - stealing). So, while I have not met her, she is morally unfit to be around our child.

We have 50/50 with the stipulation of a first right of order act, which brings his time to below 50%. With that, we have it stated that mother or father, or biological grandparents can pick our son up. I would think regardless of any of that, if someone is going to be driving our child, she should at least be able to contact me in emergency situations. In any event, when she is doing the commuting it is because the father is on shift (unavailable and cannot be reached for 24hrs, that is why we have the first right of refusal) and if anything were to happen, she can't call him then I would be the ONLY parent that would be available in a situation.

Well, that is looking like the route that might have to be taken unfortunately.

=Rather than get the courts involved in this, why not just ask your ex to make sure his g/f has your phone number? Truly -- that's the easiest fix if the communication issue is really what is bothering you. But from this impartial observer, it appears that you're just looking for any reason to poke your ex in the eye.

Be careful what you plan to take to court. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Literally. Anything you put in place will be used on you some day when you have a significant other. Keep this in mind.

Also, be aware that it is normal for people to haul their exes into court and throw a fit when they start dating again, and introduce a new partner. The courts are jaded to this. If you are going to accuse the girlfriend of anything, make sure you have evidence, and that your attorney agrees that it is worthwhile to pursue. And be ready for your ex to someday hold the same measuring stick to you.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast