Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Dental X-Rays Taken on an Epileptic Four-Year-Old Without Parental Consent

My question involves malpractice in the state of Ohio. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and reply to this post!
    My daughter was diagnosed epileptic at eight months old, so I know that I am protective, but I feel as though I should have been asked before anything especially radiation exposure, even in the slightest, was involved.
    My daughter age four, son age three this month, but just as big as his sister, and I all went in for cleaning to our dentist. My daughter has been to this office every six months since her first tooth. During this dental cleaning, the hygienist took my daughter down the hall so I could stay with my son and get my teeth cleaned as well. I made sure to tell them not to put fluoride on anyone, and they listened. However, it did show up on my bill which they are now correcting. However, upon reading the explanation of benefits I see that my daughter got them, and when I called, the gentleman informed me that I would get a callback later that day. They never called! I called the next week and finally talked to someone. As I was getting my x-rays, my kids were right outside of the room. I was not informed about either of them needing to get theirs at all. The lady I spoke with could not explain why I was not asked or offered x-rays for my son, and why my daughter was taken to get hers. She did mention that they usually ask the parent and put me on hold to called the hygienist and talk to her. She then contradicted her first story and informed me that sometimes they take them without asking. I do not know what to do or if I am making a big deal out of nothing. It breaks my heart that I have done everything to protect her, and someone just took away something I feel should have been my choice to decide. An x-ray is not like a vaccine; this was an optional appointment, and I should have chosen for my daughter, right?
    Thank you,

Concerned Momma in Gallaway Ohio

Default Re: Dental X-Rays on an Epileptic Four-Year-Old Without Parental Consent

Make your feelings known to the dentist that you want no further x-rays on your children without your specific authorization.

Do you have a legal question/

Default Re: Dental X-Rays on an Epileptic Four-Year-Old Without Parental Consent

Is that legal?

There is no law against it. That makes it legal.

Quote Quoting Isabella
    View Post
    I do not know what to do or if I am making a big deal out of nothing.
    I'm not quite sure what your concern is, and I couldn't quite follow your long explanation of the facts.

Sounds like you're saying that the dentist took x-rays on one or both of your kids and you're bothered by that. Is that rightt? If so, what is your concern?

Quote Quoting Isabella
    View Post
    I should have chosen for my daughter, right?
    Sure, but an x-ray is a routine part of a dental exam. Unless you told the dentist not to take x-rays, why would the dentist assume it was an issue?

Most importantly, since you didn't say otherwise, I assume no harm came to your child[ren), so what's the problem?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    I'm not quite sure what your concern is, and I couldn't quite follow your long explanation of the facts.

Sounds like you're saying that the dentist took x-rays on one or both of your kids and you're bothered by that. Is that rightt? If so, what is your concern?

Sure, but an x-ray is a routine part of a dental exam. Unless you told the dentist not to take x-rays, why would the dentist assume it was an issue?

Most importantly, since you didn't say otherwise, I assume no harm came to your child[ren), so what's the problem
    ?
    I am sorry but it is NOT routine to do that without parental consent.

Isabella, your best way to avoid those kinds of problems in the future is not to make joint appointments for all of you at the same time. That way you can remain with your children for their entire appointment.

Standard practice varies.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I am sorry but it is NOT routine to do that without parental consent.
    I forgive you, but whether x-rays are a routine part of a dental exam (which is what I wrote) and whether it is routine to do it for a child without parental consent (which is something different than what I wrote) are two different issues. Anecdotally, I've never had or heard of a dental exam without x-rays, but maybe things are different in Gallaway, Ohio. Regardless, if a parent brings a kid for a dental exam and signs (or has previously signed) the consent forms, I wouldn't expect most dentists to seek out a further express consent for an x-ray.

All that said, I agree that the parent and a 4yo and a 3yo having appointments at the same time probably contributed to the confusion that the original post indicates.

I agree x-rays are common. I think you are overreacting. If your child had an unusual number of x-rays recently. It might be different. But that is not the case. Do you remember if you signed anything agreeing to treatment, x-rays, etc ? This would have been done the first time your daughter saw this dentist. Usually it is part of the regular paperwork. Parents/patients rarely pay it any attention because it does not standout from the other new patient paperwork.

There are going to be countless dangers you cannot protect your children from. No matter how hard you try. I know how upsetting that is. But you need to find a way to learn how to deal with it. If you do not. You will drive yourself nuts.

If it helps you out any, bitewing x-rays expose you to the same amount of radiation as a couple hours in the sun (light itself is a form of radiation) and panoramic x-rays are about double the exposure of bitewing. Both exposures are individually less than walking through the shoplifting scanners at any major store, and miniscule in comparison to going through airport security. The odds of anything adverse to ones health happening to anyone who has a dental x-ray are extremely low, and even if you ended up with throat or thyroid cancer 5 years later, the x-ray exposure would only be a plausible explanation, and by no means would causation be proven. What is your end game? Punish the clinic for not obtaining consent, or hoping to get money from them? It doesn't sound like you suffered any damages, just theoretical future damages. As others have said, odds are when you filled out paperwork, you consented to certain treatment guidelines. Review any and all paperwork you signed.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast