Default Who is Responsible to Pay Estate Taxes

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Florida

My mother passed away on December 27th at the age of 74. Would my step-father be responsible for paying income tax or would her estate be responsible to pay? They did not pay quarterly taxes. If the estate is responsible to pay, would it be a 50/50 or would the estate be responsible for only "her income". Stepdad made more money in his name than she did in hers. The have filed jointly over the years.

Thanks

Default Re: Estate Taxes

Quote Quoting HelpInNorthCarolina
    View Post
    My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Florida

My mother passed away on December 27th at the age of 74. Would my step-father be responsible for paying income tax or would her estate be responsible to pay? They did not pay quarterly taxes. If the estate is responsible to pay, would it be a 50/50 or would the estate be responsible for only "her income". Stepdad made more money in his name than she did in hers. The have filed jointly over the years.

Thanks
    For the year in which the decedent dies there may be two options for filing the return. If the surviving spouse had not remarried before the end of the year, then the surviving spouse may together make an election to file a joint income tax return. If they do that then both the surviving spouse and the estate are jointly and severally liable to pay the tax due on that return. Other than that, the estate would file a married filing separate return for the deceased spouse and of course the estate would be responsible for paying any tax due on that return. See IRS Publication 559, which covers information for survivors, executors, and administrators of estates.

View Post
    My mother passed away on December 27th at the age of 74. Would my step-father be responsible for paying income tax or would her estate be responsible to pay?
    Income tax on what?

View Post
    They did not pay quarterly taxes.
    Didn't pay quarterly taxes on what?

Is your mother's estate worth more or less than $11.18 million?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Income tax on what?
    Income tax on the decedent's earnings for the year. And the estate is indeed liable to file the return and pay any tax owed by the decedent.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Is your mother's estate worth more or less than $11.18 million?
    The question is not about the federal estate tax. The subject line, "estate taxes" being in the plural refers not to any one tax in particular but to taxes owed generally by the estate. And the text of the post makes it clear that the OP is referring to income tax. Nothing in it relates to the estate tax. As particular as you are with some posters in analyzing grammar and syntax I would think you would have picked that up.

1. Sponsored Links