Default Expert for Reviewing Medical Records Knows Defendant Physician

My question involves malpractice in the state of: AZ

It appears that the expert who was reviewing my medical records knows one of the potential defendant Physician ? went to medical school/ residency program together. How to make sure that the expert reviewing medical records does not have conflict of interest ! One would imagine a person with moral principle would back off saying that they cant review the records. What if they review the records and give a biased opinion !

Default Re: Expert for Reviewing Medical Records Knows Defendant Physician

Lots of physicians know lots of physicians. Lots of lawyers know lots of lawyers. Either way it isn't necessarily a conflict of interests.

What does your lawyer say?

Alternately, he may know the defendant and hate his guts, and wants nothing more than to hang his hide on a fencepost.

That the two are acquainted has been disclosed to you. That they happened to go to school together is no reason to suspect any sort of bias, but it's up to you to proceed with this person as your expert or not.

Quote Quoting MaltbyMark
    View Post
    Alternately, he may know the defendant and hate his guts, and wants nothing more than to hang his hide on a fencepost.
    In all honesty, that wouldn't be a great thing either.

Quote Quoting xyzabc
    View Post
    My question involves malpractice in the state of: AZ

It appears that the expert who was reviewing my medical records knows one of the potential defendant Physician ? went to medical school/ residency program together.
    Medical school classes number at least a hundred students and often several hundred . My law school class numbered over 100 students. I only knew a few of them well enough to count them as friends. So just the fact that I went to law school with someone would tell you nothing about whether I had any significant relationship with him/her. The same is true here. Just the fact that the expert went to school with someone doesn't automatically make them buddies. It is more likely that the expert has no relationship with the defendant and might not even know anything more about him/her than the name and the fact that they once attended the same program. Experts who issue reports favorable to doctor don't tend to get hired, so this expert isn't likely to want to bend over to give a report favorable to the doctor here.

1. Sponsored Links