Default How Does the Oregon Amtrak Act Work

Several years ago I lived in Washington state. My employer was in Oregon. I would drive to Oregon, pick up my work truck and then drive back into Washington where my route was. I believe this qualifies me to use the Amtrak act.
    I lived in Washington for a total of one year; approximately six months on one calendar year and six months on the other. I filed federal taxes for both of these years. I never filed state because I was unsure how to do it, so I kept putting it off. I normally do my own taxes. Is this something I can do myself or do I need to make an appointment with a professional?
    From what I remember, I was just supposed to write Amtrak act on top of the tax forms, but I'm not sure how to calculate things if I'm not claiming it for a full year.

Default Re: Amtrak Act in Oregon

Quote Quoting Weiner69
    View Post
    Several years ago I lived in Washington state. My employer was in Oregon. I would drive to Oregon, pick up my work truck and then drive back into Washington where my route was. I believe this qualifies me to use the Amtrak act.
    I lived in Washington for a total of one year; approximately six months on one calendar year and six months on the other. I filed federal taxes for both of these years. I never filed state because I was unsure how to do it, so I kept putting it off. I normally do my own taxes. Is this something I can do myself or do I need to make an appointment with a professional?
    From what I remember, I was just supposed to write Amtrak act on top of the tax forms, but I'm not sure how to calculate things if I'm not claiming it for a full year.
    Washington does not have state income tax. Therefore you would not file a state return for the time period you lived in WA (I assume that your employer coded the income on your W2 as WA income). Just picking up a truck in Oregon and driving it to WA would not qualify the income as OR income.

You likely would have to file a state return for the state you lived in the other half of each of those years, but only for the income earned in that state.

I would really recommend a tax professional for those two tax years for the state returns.

Default Re: Amtrak Act in Oregon

Quote Quoting Weiner69
    View Post
    Several years ago I lived in Washington state.
    Exactly how may years ago are we talking about?

Quote Quoting Weiner69
    View Post
    My employer was in Oregon. I would drive to Oregon, pick up my work truck and then drive back into Washington where my route was. I believe this qualifies me to use the Amtrak act.
    As described, that's not correct. To be qualified under the "Amtrak Act," you must work for an interstate railroad, an interstate motor carrier or an interstate motor private carrier. In addition, you must have regularly assigned duties in more than one state and be subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S. Secretary of Transportation. Are or were all of those things true of your position "several years ago"?

Quote Quoting Weiner69
    View Post
    Is this something I can do myself or do I need to make an appointment with a professional?
    I'm not sure what "this" refers to, but if you don't know if you can handle it, you probably can't.

As a general matter, "I don't know how to do it" is a really bad reason not to file income tax return. You lucked out that Washington doesn't have state income tax.

1. Sponsored Links