Default Dealer Improperly Installed Lug Nuts Nearly Causing a Serious Accident

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Florida
    I caught the problem thank goodness when there were only two lugnuts out of six holding my right front tire onto the rest of the truck. I had just left Toyota dealership where new front brake pads had been installed. Mechanic did NOT road test as per company SOP. Vehicle was shaking from the minute I drove away, I thought it was out of balance (I am not the professional mechanic, they are) Dealer fixed the resulting problems and loaned me a vehicle for three days over the weekend. They offered $4,000 in free maintenance. I said I wanted a new truck. Waiting for their answer on that. A less honest person might have noticed the missing or loose lugnuts and just kept on driving, it's like winning the lottery only thing is you might end up seriously hurt or hurting or killing someone else. I did not think of that at the time, but only later as I thought about the might have beens. That dealership is darned lucky that this happened to me, and not to some unaware person or senior citizen who is hard of hearing or doesn't know what the heck is going on. I think I deserve a significant reward.

Default Re: Sent Me Off with Loose or Improperly Installed Lugnuts Nearly Caused Serious Acci

You when lawsuit (your only option if they don't just give you what you want) for what might have happened.

Default Re: Sent Me Off with Loose or Improperly Installed Lugnuts Nearly Caused Serious Acci

I think PG's spellchecker got the best of him, I can't make out what he is trying to say.

However, you don't get to recover damages for what "might have happened." There's no "lawsuit lottery here." Even if the wheel had come off (you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel), you'd have not gotten a new truck. It appears that the dealership has been more than responsible here. They're not even obliged to give you further maintenance once they've provided you a rental and repaired the problem.

Thanks for your input. I think the dealership, which is one of the largest in the area, probably shit in their pants when they found out that I was two lug nuts away from having a serious accident. My request for a new truck was an attempt at nudging them closer to what I think "fair" is - they dodged a massive bullet here. I guess it is just really too bad that I didn't ignore the vibration and kept on driving. Had I lost the wheel and crashed into a gas station, well then I suppose we would be talking some real sucking up. (As I laid in intensive care with third degree burns over 60 percent of my body)

I don't know what happened there. It should have read...

You don't win a lawsuit (your only option if they don't just give you what you want) for what might have happened.

They didn't "dodge" anything. You think they don't have insurance? If you force this issue, you'll get less than you've been offered. All that was purely for good will and not of any obligation they have to you.

Quote Quoting JamesD
    View Post
    Dealer fixed the resulting problems and loaned me a vehicle for three days over the weekend. They offered $4,000 in free maintenance. I said I wanted a new truck.
    What?! A free truck for what? The mechanic screwed up, but you suffered no damage as a result. $4k in free maintenance is a massive windfall and far more than "fair," but no one's giving you a new truck. That's just ridiculous.

Quote Quoting JamesD
    View Post
    A less honest person might have noticed the missing or loose lugnuts and just kept on driving, it's like winning the lottery only thing is you might end up seriously hurt or hurting or killing someone else.
    Ummm...huh?

Quote Quoting JamesD
    View Post
    I think I deserve a significant reward.
    You can think whatever you like, but you're not entitled to anything. Don't pretend to be some sort of hero when you're just being greedy.

You can't sue for what didn't happen. You can think what you want but you've already received more compensation (in the way of the free maintenance) than you're legally entitled to.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    (you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel)
    Holy crap, that's funny. You'll have to compensate me for almost falling out of my chair. I could have really been hurt had I fallen to the floor. I think I deserve lots of your money for what could have happened.

Quote Quoting JamesD
    View Post
    I think I deserve a significant reward.
    I think you're a couple of lugnuts short of a wheel.

Quote Quoting JamesD
    View Post
    Thanks for your input. I think the dealership, which is one of the largest in the area, probably shit in their pants when they found out that I was two lug nuts away from having a serious accident. My request for a new truck was an attempt at nudging them closer to what I think "fair" is - they dodged a massive bullet here. I guess it is just really too bad that I didn't ignore the vibration and kept on driving. Had I lost the wheel and crashed into a gas station, well then I suppose we would be talking some real sucking up. (As I laid in intensive care with third degree burns over 60 percent of my body)
    But what if you never made the ICU because when you crashed into the gas station you burned to death because no one could get you out of the vehicle as your legs were pinned in-between the floor and the firewall of the vehicle?

Or, what if the tire came off your vehicle and you rear-ended an armored car, and then the rear door of the armored car flew open and $2,000.000 fell out of the armored car and landed in your lap, and the best part is the armored car never felt you rear-end them and didn't even notice that the rear door opened and the money fell out, and the armored car just kept going? What would you do with two million dollars? Lucky You!
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links