Default Last Names on Birth Certificate and Social Security Card Don't Match

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Texas.
    On my Birth Certificate it has my mom's last name (father isn't on BC) (ex. John Brandon Smith) while on my Social Security Card it has my dad's last name (ex. John Brandon Jones). I'm 20 years old and still lack any identification documents Because of my situation, I've looked into name corrections for each document but I would need some form of proof of who I am which I lack, everything leads to a court order name change but how can I prove who I am to get the petition approved when I can't fix anything else?

Default Re: Last Names on Birth Certificate and Ssc Don't Match

You don’t have school records? No drivers license? Never been employed?

have you lived under a rock for your 20 years and never done anything?

Quote Quoting Atreyu956
    View Post
    how can I prove who I am to get the petition approved when I can't fix anything else?
    You're over thinking this. According to the Texas Bar's name change guide:

The court must grant the name change if the Petitioner can show the court that he
    or she has not had a final felony conviction, is not required to register as a sex offender
    and that the change is in the interest or to the benefit of the Petitioner and in the
    interest of the public. Usually only sworn testimony of the Petitioner in open court
    is required for the court to make these findings. The Petitioner must also testify that the
    name change is not being requested for the purpose of evading creditors or liability.
    https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template...ontentID=23466

Forms and instructions are available at:

https://texaslawhelp.org/toolkit/i-want-change-my-name

From what I'm reading all you have to do is stand up and say "I want my name changed because ____________ and I'm not ___________ (whatever) and it's done.

Take your Mom to court with you for the hearing. She can explain what happened if necessary.

This is a good time in your life to get your name to match your SS card, before things start getting complicated.

Just do it.

Its also possible that there WAS a court ordered name change, but neither parent took the time or effort to have the BC changed. Otherwise I don't see how the SSN ended up with the father's last name. If there was a court order, then using that court order to get the BC changed now would be in order.

How the heck did you get a SSC with a name not on your birth certificate? You just don't get SSNs because you say you want one. Typically a birth certificate or passport is required. Occasionally other documents may be accepted. What documents were showed to prove U.S. citizenship?

Actually, just because you have to show a document doesn't mean the name on the application/card gets transcribed exactly. In fact, since the IRS started requiring SSNs for dependent children, it's pretty common to have get them issued at birth before most of the "official" documents are available and the SSA will accept things other than birth certificates like hospital or school records.

Anyhow, getting back to the poster's problem. If he just wants to reconcile the SS card to his birth certificate, he needs take all the documentation he has the proves that he is who is on the birth certificate and take it to the SS office for them to inspect and correct the record. If he is unhappy with the name on his birth certificate, then he will have to go through a court-ordered name change and then take all that stuff to the SSA to get the account revised (if it still differs).

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Actually, just because you have to show a document doesn't mean the name on the application/card gets transcribed exactly. In fact, since the IRS started requiring SSNs for dependent children, it's pretty common to have get them issued at birth before most of the "official" documents are available and the SSA will accept things other than birth certificates like hospital or school records.
    You're showing your age Ron, maybe this would have worked fifty years ago (and debatable then) but it won't work today. Only way to get school records is by showing a birth certificate to enroll. So in essence, if SS does accept them (and I don't think they will) you have shown a birth certificate through a governmental 3rd party. What type of hospital record would bypass a birth certificate?

Granted a birth certificate doesn't prove who or what you are, however getting a SSC that differs from your birth certificate is not likely. Your advice is good. Take evidence to the SSA and prove to them that your SSC or your BC is wrong (which one is correct?). My guess is that they will be highly suspicious and will want more details -like "how did this happen?" - just as what we are asking.

1. Sponsored Links