Post Can You Use Images Taken from Books

Hi,

I am planning to create IT courses and host on Udemy.com(paid courses). I have few questions and confusion if anyone can help:

- Can I use images from IT books? I can happily give reference in video or any other way that can allow me to use images. I need images from books because it would save my time otherwise I need to create same images myself.

- Are books and book pages that we see in Google Book as public pages, are they in public domain and can be used in my videos? How are these public pages different than non public pages. By public pages; I mean if you search something in Google Book, you would see some pages of book view-able while other are not until we buy book.

Please advise on how can I use images from Books?

Thanks

Default Re: Images from Books

You can surely ask the owner of the copyrights of the images you wish to use if they will allow the use or sell you a lixcense to use the images.

Stealing images because you don’t have the time to create your own isn’t a valid defense to copyright infringement.

The the only way to know if the images on google are in the public domain would be to research them. Chances are given the subject involved, all images you would be dealing with have copyright protection.

Quote Quoting memon421
    View Post
    Hi,

I am planning to create IT courses and host on Udemy.com(paid courses). I have few questions and confusion if anyone can help:

- Can I use images from IT books?
    You can if (1) you have the permission of the copyright holder (for which they may want you to pay a licensing fee if they are willing to grant permission at all), (2) the image is in the public domain (unlikely for IT photos, which won't be that old) or (3) you can claim fair use for the image, which isn't likely for the uses you seem to have in mind. Fair use doesn't keep you from getting sued for infringement; it is a defense you assert if you get sued. And that defense can still cost you tens of thousands of dollars in legal and other fees even if you win.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    You can if (1) you have the permission of the copyright holder (for which they may want you to pay a licensing fee if they are willing to grant permission at all), (2) the image is in the public domain Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox (unlikely for IT photos, which won't be that old) or (3) you can claim fair use for the image, which isn't likely for the uses you seem to have in mind. Fair use doesn't keep you from getting sued for infringement; it is a defense you assert if you get sued. And that defense can still cost you tens of thousands of dollars in legal and other fees even if you win.
    You can if (1) you have the permission of the copyright holder (for which they may want you to pay a licensing fee if they are willing to grant permission at all), (2) the image is in the public domain (unlikely for IT photos, which won't be that old) or (3) you can claim fair use for the image, which isn't likely for the uses you seem to have in mind. Fair use doesn't keep you from getting sued for infringement; it is a defense you assert if you get sued. And that defense can still cost you tens of thousands of dollars in legal and other fees even if you win.

1. Sponsored Links