Default Valuables Left in Care of Relatives in a Locked Box Were Stolen

Valuables left in care with relatives in locked box and now valuables missing with no evidence of break into the property

Can I involve the police? I did leave it in the care of the relatives. Do I have rights? I feel they may have taken them.

Default Re: Valuables Left in Care with Relatives in Locked Box and Now Valuables Missing

What you may have is a case of embezzlement or theft, not robbery or theft. You can report it to the police and see how they respond.

Default Re: Valuables Left in Care with Relatives in Locked Box and Now Valuables Missing

Placing property in someone's care without the transfer of ownership is a bailment. This has nothing to do with embezzlement.

OP, if your memory is accurate and you know that the valuables were in the locked box when you gave it to relatives, your recourse is to sue your relatives. How they got into the box and that they took the valuables is something you would have to prove. Is that something that you could prove or is it just your assumption?

Quote Quoting j1441
    View Post
    Can I involve the police?
    We have no way of knowing. You certainly can ask the police to become involved. Whether they will agree to become involved is anyone's guess.

Quote Quoting j1441
    View Post
    Do I have rights?
    Of course you do. Everyone has dozens of legal right.

Are these really the questions you intended to ask?

What were the "valuables" that you left in your relatives' care? How much are they worth? Why did you leave them with relatives? Where was the "locked box" located? Please describe the "locked box." When did you discover the items missing? When was the last time you knew they were located in the "locked box"? Have your relatives offered you any explanation as to what happened to them? Who had keys to the "locked box" and who had access to the place where it was located? Have you spoken with everyone who had keys and access?

Are these really the questions you intended to ask?

What were the "valuables" that you left in your relatives' care?
    jewelary

How much are they worth?

Why did you leave them with relatives?
    Out on holiday, no alarm, silly mistake should use a locker.

Where was the "locked box" located?
    hidden in their attic, no signs of break in.

Please describe the "locked box."
    small metal key operated box. i guess easily picked.

When did you discover the items missing?
    well left there a while after 8months maybe

When was the last time you knew they were located in the "locked box"?
    when handed to them 8 months ago. can eaily tell its lighter in weight

Have your relatives offered you any explanation as to what happened to them?
    No.

Who had keys to the "locked box" and who had access to the place where it was located?
    i did only and it was closed even though empty when i checked up on it. So clearly picked, contents emptied then closed.

Have you spoken with everyone who had keys and access?

You indicate the value if the items in the box were 15k ... was this in the UK?

This site primarily addresses issues of US law.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    You indicate the value if the items in the box were 15k ... was this in the UK?

This site primarily addresses issues of US law.
    yes per the same query down the street

Will it be better if you talked to your relatives first? If they won't cooperate then that will be the time that you can file a police report.

Quote Quoting 1claire
    View Post
    Will it be better if you talked to your relatives first? If they won't cooperate then that will be the time that you can file a police report.
    So filing a police report is SOP in the UK?

1. Sponsored Links