Post How to Get Your Licence Back if You Haven't Paid an Injury Judgment

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Washington State

I got into an accident about 10 years ago with no insurance and that's how long my license has been suspended for.
    The other person's injury settlement was for about $20000.
    I have been fine with no license up until this point. But I can not pay that amount, nor have I paid it.
    The DOL will not issue me another license until that is paid off in full.
    I've tried calling the number for the attorney on file to set up payments and such but it looks like they are no longer practicing. Plus they're/were located in California.
    Since it's been so long, I was wondering if there was a way around this? So I can get my license back.

Also according to the court records in 2015 this is stated

"Clerk's Notice for Dismissal for Want of Prosecution Clerk's Notice for Dismissal filed"

not exactly sure what it means?

I was planning on filing for bankruptcy to remove this from stopping me to get a license as it seems that's the only way at this point. And I probably need to file for bankruptcy either way.

I just want my license back at this point.
    Any help or insight would be great.

Default Re: Suspended License . 10 Years After

Read this and follow the instructions.

The 2015 record simply means they didn't criminally prosecute you. I don't think bankruptcy is going to help to get your license back. It isn't that you owe the money it is that you didn't pay it and didn't have insurance to cover it. Have you tried to contact the person you actually hit?

We've got some Washington state people on the board that will pop up sooner or later.

It was so long ago I dont even know who the person is. Plus the dol and the courts are giving me the attorney on file not the actual person.

Go to the court there are records of who the party was that sued you.

Quote Quoting bosnian
    View Post
    The other person's injury settlement was for about $20000.
    Settlement with whom? If you had no liability insurance, then there obviously could have been no settlement with an insurer, so what does this mean? Did you enter into a settlement agreement with the other driver? Was there a settlement between the other driver and his/her own insurer under uninsured motorist coverage? Or did you misuse the word "settlement," and did you really mean that the other driver (or his/her insurer) sued you and got a judgment against you? If that's what you meant, when was the judgment entered, and did the judgment creditor ever take any steps to renew it?

Quote Quoting bosnian
    View Post
    I've tried calling the number for the attorney on file to set up payments and such but it looks like they are no longer practicing. Plus they're/were located in California.
    Whom did this attorney represent? What difference does it make if he/she is in California (except that, if the attorney is admitted to practice in CA, you can look him/her up at this link).

Quote Quoting bosnian
    View Post
    Also according to the court records in 2015 this is stated

"Clerk's Notice for Dismissal for Want of Prosecution Clerk's Notice for Dismissal filed"

not exactly sure what it means?
    That sort of statement typically refers to a lawsuit that was filed but never taken to trial (it could also refer to a criminal matter, but the term "prosecute" is also used to refer to civil lawsuits, and "dismissal for want of prosecution" is a common term used in civil cases). This makes your reference to a "settlement" even more confusing.

Quote Quoting bosnian
    View Post
    It was so long ago I dont even know who the person is. Plus the dol and the courts are giving me the attorney on file not the actual person.
    If someone sued you, you can look at the court file to identify that person. I don't know what "the courts are giving me the attorney" means, but you may have to go down to the court clerk's office and ask to have the file pulled.

I think you're right I'm misusing the word. I do apologize.
    I believe it was the other drivers insurance that sued me for the damages they paid out to their client.
    There is NO settlement. This "lien" as the DOL told me is what is currently holding up my license. They said I have to pay it.
    I have talked to some bankruptcy attorneys, and they have told me that I would be able to declare this judgement in the bankruptcy and would release the hold on my license.

Ok. Sounds like the other driver's insurer paid a claim and then sued you for reimbursement and got a judgment against you. The only thing that's unclear is the bit about something being dismissed for want of prosecution. In any event, it sounds like bankruptcy is the path for you, and, if that's the path you want to pursue, I encourage you to retain the services of a bankruptcy attorney.

When was the judgment actually entered against you?

I would not file for bankruptcy to get a license before I knew that a 10 year old judgment was renewed or not.

You may be able to have the judgment vacated and then you can get your license.

1. Sponsored Links