Default Unlicensed Driver Pulled Over for Speeding

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: California
    he got pulled over for speeding and he is unlicensed, however he has an appointment to get his DL in about 3 weeks, will the DMV let him go forward with obtaining it, or is there going to be consequences for this. Please let me know! the cop was nice and did not impound the car, just gave him a ticket for speeding and no DL.

Default Re: My Son Was Recently Pulled Over for Speeding

Is he a minor?

Did the officer mark the No DL as correctable? If so, he should be able to get his license and just have to pay a $25 admin fee for that one.

First off, you have to see how the no DL ticket was written. If it was written as a misdemeanor violation of 12500VC, then you need to get him an attorney.
    If not, when is the appearance date? If the appearance is after his DL appointment, it won't have any bearing on it and, in fact, if he brings his newly minted license to court, they may allow him to "correct" the DL violation.
    If not he's looking at a pretty hefty fine for both.

Yes, there will be consequences. There will be fines. Your insurance rates will skyrocket. He may even have his license delayed.

And if he was my kid, he wouldn't be driving for a long, long time.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Yes, there will be consequences. There will be fines. Your insurance rates will skyrocket. He may even have his license delayed.

And if he was my kid, he wouldn't be driving for a long, long time.
    once can only hope.....not only speeding but without a license and underaged? Why does this person even has access to car keys? As a mom myself, I wouldn't care if the state would allow it, I sure wouldn't! Consequences would abound....

Everyone loves unsolicited parenting advice. Nice work forum!!

Quote Quoting gmurillo81
    View Post
    My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: California
    he got pulled over for speeding and he is unlicensed, however he has an appointment to get his DL in about 3 weeks, will the DMV let him go forward with obtaining it, or is there going to be consequences for this. Please let me know! the cop was nice and did not impound the car, just gave him a ticket for speeding and no DL.
    Is he a minor child, or is he an adult? Whether he is a minor or an adult, if you are permitting him to drive one of your cars, you are guilty of a misdemeanor in CA. You also hold liability for his actions in that vehicle and there is the possibility your insurance company would not accept a claim with a knowingly unlicensed driver behind the wheel. Frankly, the officer should probably have impounded the car for 30 days. He was not "nice," he was either lazy, derelict, or was legally not permitted to tow it (such as the stop was made in his driveway, or one of a few circumstances that would have prevented a tow).

Chances are he will still get his license at the appointment since his speeding cite (assuming for VC 22350) and the unlicensed cite (VC 12500(a)) will not have been adjudicated by that time. If convicted he will still face fines and a point on his license. Ironically, the point will be for the speed, not for the unlicensed citation.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

thank you to everyone who didnt knock my parenting. he took the car just so those of you know the situation.

yes he is a minor, and i dont think he checked the box as being a correctable violation. but he did mark the both boxes as a infraction NOT a misdemeanor

yes, his hearing date is after his appointment for his DL......i did see that on a site that possibly he can "correct" one of his infractions.

Quote Quoting gmurillo81
    View Post
    thank you to everyone who didnt knock my parenting. he took the car just so those of you know the situation.

yes he is a minor, and i dont think he checked the box as being a correctable violation. but he did mark the both boxes as a infraction NOT a misdemeanor

yes, his hearing date is after his appointment for his DL......i did see that on a site that possibly he can "correct" one of his infractions.
    The VC 12500(a) citation can be correctable. Even if the officer did not check the box for it to be correctable, the court can make it so on their own. The speed offense is NOT correctable and will result in a point on his license if convicted.

And, you say he "took the car" without your permission (that can also be called "auto theft") ... had it been one of my four sons, I would NOT have permitted him to get his license. He would wait until he is 18 and has his own insurance. Driving requires responsibility and common sense, and taking one of my cars while unlicensed and against my will shows a lack of maturity AND a lack of common sense. Insurance rates for boys under 26 are outrageous enough without adding traffic offenses into the mix.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links