Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: My Son Was Recently Pulled Over for Speeding

Quote Quoting RandallCS
    View Post
    Hooray for MORE unsolicited parenting advice; just what people come here for!!

I mean OP even went out of their way to thank everyone for all the great tips, right?!
    Just a bonus for the price of admission!
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

More like the typical kick in the ribs when you see someone down.

Just can't pass up the fun, ha? Kinda like Reginald Denny.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    Sometimes it is worth reminding people of what can come of poor decisions. It's people like me that have to deal with the results of bad personal - and parenting - decisions. I have no idea whether the OP has chastised his child or not, or whether there are consequences for junior's actions. I am suspecting that the consequences are minimal given the posting, but, I could be mistaken. I would not have been lenient with my children ... though, I prefer they not make decisions that could land them in jail, at best, or dead, at worst.

Wow. Not sure where you're going with that one. I watched Reginald Denny get beaten from hundreds of miles away on TV in the office as we went on tactical alert. No fun to be had there.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Sometimes it is worth reminding people of what can come of poor decisions. It's people like me that have to deal with the results of bad personal - and parenting - decisions. I have no idea whether the OP has chastised his child or not, or whether there are consequences for junior's actions. I am suspecting that the consequences are minimal given the posting, but, I could be mistaken. I would not have been lenient with my children ... though, I prefer they not make decisions that could land them in jail, at best, or dead, at worst.
    Since this is evolving into a parenting thread I'll add my two cents.

Far too often parents who have failed at getting certain messages through to their kid's head think they can right a wrong by throwing the book at them when they screw up...as if that will teach them very basic concepts they should have learned along the way. Here: The big fear is not ending up in jail. That would do him good. And killing himself is bad, but not the worst. The worst is killing an innocent person on the street or his friends in the car with him. Then to compound it, those damages financially destroying the parents.

This is not directed at the OP at all, because kids do mess up in spite of good parenting. But I too often see inept parenting trying to be substituted by overly harsh punishments.

Carl, not letting him drive for two long years? Really? What would your punishment be for yourself for not teaching your kid the extreme risks of doing that?

In my observation, overly harsh punishments seldom work. They create resentment, distance, and do not teach the kid what should have been taught years ago.

Wow. Not sure where you're going with that one. I watched Reginald Denny get beaten from hundreds of miles away on TV in the office as we went on tactical alert. No fun to be had there.
    I was exagerating but I am annoyed when people get admonished here...as though it is expected, helpful or appreciated.

Yep, Chuck - two years. Oh, he can still drive - when he gets his own car and pays for his own insurance. But, I would not pay the consequences for his bad actions on my dime - especially since he would have known my expectations ahead of time, one of which would be do not commit any criminal offenses, another being not to take my car. At 16 my kids knew very well and good what our expectations were of them and what the consequences of such reckless actions might be. When it came to vehicles, I was - and am - a stickler on their behavior (born from a career dealing with the sometimes fatal consequences of stupidity); partially out of the fear that their actions might harm them, and partially out of concerns that their actions might have criminal and civil penalties that could effect them well into their lives.

Fortunately, none of my boys ever stole my car (aka "borrowed" it) and put themselves or me at greater civil and potentially criminal liability as a result of their actions.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Which kid would you rather have:

Two kids are thinking about doing something stupid: One says, "If my Dad caught me doing that he'd kill me and not let me drive till I'm eighteen." The other says, "I'm not afraid of what my Dad will do to me, I'm afraid I don't have the driving skills yet and don't want to hurt anyone or myself. Nor do I want to bring those financial hardships back on my family."

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    Which kid would you rather have:

Two kids are thinking about doing something stupid: One says, "If my Dad caught me doing that he'd kill me and not let me drive till I'm eighteen." The other says, "I'm not afraid of what my Dad will do to me, I'm afraid I don't have the driving skills yet and don't want to hurt anyone or myself. Nor do I want to bring those financial hardships back on my family."
    Fortunately, mine would have had BOTH trains of thought. It's not an either/or situation. Imparting common sense and right and wrong are not mutually exclusive with the communication of penalties for breaking the law.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Fortunately, mine would have had BOTH trains of thought. It's not an either/or situation. Imparting common sense and right and wrong are not mutually exclusive with the communication of penalties for breaking the law.
    With all the negative consequences associated with a 15 year old joyriding their parents car, getting caught breaking the law would be the least of my concerns.

It may not be 100% either/or, but one is more predominant.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post

Just when you think that the Chuck.77 types couldn't possibly get anymore ignorant, they surprise the snot outta ya! Calling you any insultive crap is an exercise in futility.

HOWEVER, being a pain in your ass makes me quite jovial. Denny was victimized by rioters btw, not cops! Get your facts straight and THEN come back and play.

I'll take 'No Idea About Which they Speak' for one thousand please Alex.
    I strive every day to be the kind of person my dogs think I am.

Quote Quoting souperdave
    View Post
    I'll take 'No Idea About Which they Speak' for one thousand please Alex.

Joe: "I'll take Pot party for a hundred".

MC: "No, that's Potpourri".

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2